PSXerholic's 210 Gallon Reef in "Reefcity Houston" ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! Did I miss something? No SPS?
I was over with even homemade apple cake and still trying him to convince to keep something fully automated in small until he has the time back to get back fully into it.

Well, no chance but an LPS is at least something to keep him on the hook, lol.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh man that's terrible!! :(

No not really.
Out of own will, moved all SPS in the frag tank and sold some off.
Lost some too due to a ALK swing but I was more happy than sad.
Maybe a weird thing to say but I was just lacking time and didn't do a WC in 3 months.
Traveling between Park City and Houston it just didn't work out.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh man that's terrible!! :(

No not really.
Out of own will, moved all SPS in the frag tank and sold some off.
Lost some too due to a ALK swing but I was more happy than sad.
Maybe a weird thing to say but I was just lacking time and didn't do a WC in 3 months.
Traveling between Park City and Houston it just didn't work out.

bowen1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just re found this thread. Lots of nice information in here. Idk if you answered this but what could I do if I wanted to take out carbon in a nano AIO? It's hard to put a UV on

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just re found this thread. Lots of nice information in here. Idk if you answered this but what could I do if I wanted to take out carbon in a nano AIO? It's hard to put a UV on

I tell you something, I have now used 3 UV sanitizers in the last 12 months, with one Vendor I got so bad in conflict, they just took their UV Sanitizer from the market for Saltwater tanks. That was truly a rip off and danger for SW tanks.

So at the minute I'm off UV.
What I did start to use, is (very careful with 1/2 to 1/3 of the recommended dose) the Red Sea Reef Spec carbon. That is installed in a small DI cartridge with low flow and works very well too keep the water clean from yellows and supports the nutrient reduction, with not stripping too many trace elements. This stuff is not traditional activated carbon.
But, really.......be careful, that stuff is very powerful and can bring your nutrients to non detectable levels in Nano systems.
So watch No3 and Po4 while using it. Don't starve the tank!

-Andre

bowen1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you something, I have now used 3 UV sanitizers in the last 12 months, with one Vendor I got so bad in conflict, they just took their UV Sanitizer from the market for Saltwater tanks. That was truly a rip off and danger for SW tanks.

So at the minute I'm off UV.
What I did start to use, is (very careful with 1/2 to 1/3 of the recommended dose) the Red Sea Reef Spec carbon. That is installed in a small DI cartridge with low flow and works very well too keep the water clean from yellows and supports the nutrient reduction, with not stripping too many trace elements. This stuff is not traditional activated carbon.
But, really.......be careful, that stuff is very powerful and can bring your nutrients to non detectable levels in Nano systems.
So watch No3 and Po4 while using it. Don't starve the tank!

-Andre

Thanks Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Andre
Your welcome.

I discovered that as a potential option after I helped a guy with a 100g tank, desperately to increase nutrients in his SPS tank. Even after dosing nitrates and plant fertilizer I was surprised that nutrients did not go up. He did not do anything other then carbon and shallow sand bed which was so weird.
Then I found out he was using the reef spec, and voila after reducing that carbon type media, nutrients went up to nice levels and the beauty was back!!!
It takes waste before it can break down to nitrates and seem to absorb phosphorus so might be an good option for many nano owner.

Andre

bowen1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome.

I discovered that as a potential option after I helped a guy with a 100g tank, desperately to increase nutrients in his SPS tank. Even after dosing nitrates and plant fertilizer I was surprised that nutrients did not go up. He did not do anything other then carbon and shallow sand bed which was so weird.
Then I found out he was using the reef spec, and voila after reducing that carbon type media, nutrients went up to nice levels and the beauty was back!!!
It takes waste before it can break down to nitrates and seem to absorb phosphorus so might be an good option for many nano owner.

Andre

Good to know! My nutrient levels are pretty low so I think I will take a look at the carbon levels.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! My nutrient levels are pretty low so I think I will take a look at the carbon levels.
First instance to increase nutrients is feeding more and to increase Po4 slightly, Phytoplankton from Reef Nutrition is what I safely use.

People struggle to find the right stuff for Po4 increase these days.

-Andre

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!
Let's see if we can get a spotlight interest on this ;)

@SeahorseKeeper

Diesel, thx........having you saying this really means something to me.
Can't say thank you enough for the support back then.

With the recent changes and improvements, the Tank becomes better and better, now with even much less work ;-)

-Andre

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just all salt water my friend, nothing more or less.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back