Purple Tang in QT.

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a purple tang that i started out in a observational QT. A week later he started showing signs of ick. I started it on copper where he has been for the last two weeks and has been clean for a week now.

My question is after 2 more weeks i would like to remove the copper and observe for 1-2 weeks with no copper. I am worried that ick will come back if i have a strain that can last up to the 72 days in its encrusted stage and then the clock starts over. Should i sterilize the tank before the observation period after copper? If we have to wait in display for 72 days why not in qt?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The optimal thing to do is transfer the PT into another QT (at least 10 feet away) for the observation period. Transfer him away from any unhatched tomonts.

OP
OP
thabizness

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's what I was wondering about. I can move him to another 40b with clean water. Should I go the entire 4 weeks in copper before observation? He doesn't eat much in copper- nibbles here and there of mainly frozen. Hasn't touched nori since copper. Wont even touch DocEcos fish eggs. Everybody loves fish eggs!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's what I was wondering about. I can move him to another 40b with clean water. Should I go the entire 4 weeks in copper before observation? He doesn't eat much in copper- nibbles here and there of mainly frozen. Hasn't touched nori since copper. Wont even touch DocEcos fish eggs. Everybody loves fish eggs!

How confident are you that copper has been maintained at strict therapeutic levels for at least 14 consecutive days?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back