putting BRS soda ash on a doser

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am not really understanding, how to dose the 2 part using BRS soda ash (which I have mixed in a 1 gallon jug). I have been using Kalkwasser, and up until the past 2 weeks, it has held my DKH steady as a rock. Now I cant keep up...mixed reef, heavy on acro's. I have used a small bottle already, of fusion 1, and still fought to keep it at 7.5. BRS says to dose 160.00 ml or 5.41 fl oz or 32.00 tsp to bring it from 6.7 to 7.5...which I would likely do over 2 days.. but then I cannot figure out, what I would dose daily....I have a GHL doser, and will get back up to 8.0, but this stuff scares me, in the sense that that's a lot to dose at once, even 1/2.
I think I remember seeing that BRS soda ash takes more that say, another brand...but I have worked really hard to make sure I dont do too much stupid at once.
Any advice on this, would be great!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use that calculator and the entry for Randy's recipe #1. BRS uses my recipe.

Shortcutting, a good starting dose is 1/45th of the amount of saturated kalkwasser you were previously using. Then adjust as needed based on measured alk.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use that calculator and the entry for Randy's recipe #1. BRS uses my recipe.

Shortcutting, a good starting dose is 1/45th of the amount of saturated kalkwasser you were previously using. Then adjust as needed based on measured alk.
ok thanks Randy...but on that calculator, which one is Randy's recipe#1? uhg, sorry I have been good with Kalk., but this is way different for me. I am up to 6600 ml a day of Kalk., and my dkh is still falling. so, are you saying cut the kalk back, and then dose the soda ash? I dont want to nuke my tank, trying to use my own brain lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks Randy...but on that calculator, which one is Randy's recipe#1? uhg, sorry I have been good with Kalk., but this is way different for me. I am up to 6600 ml a day of Kalk., and my dkh is still falling. so, are you saying cut the kalk back, and then dose the soda ash? I dont want to nuke my tank, trying to use my own brain lol

The calculator entry literally says "Randy's Recipe 1 Alkalinity Part"

Kalkwasser is shown as limewater (the english word for it)

6600 mL kalkwasser per day (if saturated) is equivalent to about 143 ml of each part of the two part

You can immediately swap out the kalk and swap in the two part (I would). Trying to slowly change may lead to over or under dosing due to math and timing issues.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator entry literally says "Randy's Recipe 1 Alkalinity Part"

6600 mL kalkwasser per day (if saturated) is equivalent to about 143 ml of each part of the two part

You can immediately swap out the kalk and swap in the two part (I would). Trying to slowly change may lead to over or under dosing due to math and timing issues.
OMG I totally did NOT see that. Now I do. sorry about that. Ok.. so it's safe to get rid of the kalk, and just add the 2 part, that's awesome. Thank You!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back