pvc primer and cement

k954triniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the best pvc primer ands cement for our plumbing needs. one of the joints i want to pvc will be inside of the tank and the rest outside. i was thinking of the Oatey purple primer and the regular clear pvc cement. are those reef tank safe?
also I am installing a bulkhead to loc-line adapter to be able to run a Y return which is threaded that will be about 5 -7 inches into the tank so i'm not to worried about leaks from there, but i am also going to be using a barber fitting that is female threads so i got a male thread to pvc slip adapter and that will be out side the tank. I definitely don't want that leaking, is it necessary to use pvc cement on the threaded pieces or just thread seal tape or simply just thread it together bare?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think brand matters they will all meet the requirements to bond a joint. I use Oatey brand since it it what most stores here stock.

Use a thread sealant on the threaded fittings. Is you use glue they will not come apart again. I use the blue monster thread sealant.

OP
OP
k954triniz

k954triniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think brand matters they will all meet the requirements to bond a joint. I use Oatey brand since it it what most stores here stock.

Use a thread sealant on the threaded fittings. Is you use glue they will not come apart again. I use the blue monster thread sealant.
For the blue monster sealant I assume you use the tape version not the liquid version

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first off be aware that if your bulkhead fittings are black they are ABS plastic, not PVC...so you need an all purpose glue that is approved for both (like oatey 30821)...and you dont use primer on ABS...just cleaner, as ABS is a much softer plastic...purple primer is dyed that color so building inspectors can see that it has been used so that is all the big box stores carry but clear primer is available and will leave everything looking much better....threaded fittings do not get glued...i'm no fan of threaded fittings as they are tapered and form their seal when tightened together...but there is a fine line between leaking and tightening too much where the taper spreads the outer piece enough to crack it and if you dont have any experience playing with this stuff your tank might not be the best place to learn....unlike metal pipes where the threads are cut with a die the threads on pvc fittings are formed in a 2 piece mold and generally have a seam running straight through the threads which is prone to leak...most of the teflon tape currently on the market is trash and after fighting with a well last summer i found the only stuff thats worthwhile is the grey Mega tape....the addition of teflon tape to a pipe joint also acts as a lubricant taking less force to screw the fittings together( allowing you to get metal fittings tighter ) but once again makes it easier to overtighten and crack plastic...

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
first off be aware that if your bulkhead fittings are black they are ABS plastic, not PVC...so you need an all purpose glue that is approved for both (like oatey 30821)...and you dont use primer on ABS...just cleaner, as ABS is a much softer plastic...purple primer is dyed that color so building inspectors can see that it has been used so that is all the big box stores carry but clear primer is available and will leave everything looking much better....threaded fittings do not get glued...i'm no fan of threaded fittings as they are tapered and form their seal when tightened together...but there is a fine line between leaking and tightening too much where the taper spreads the outer piece enough to crack it and if you dont have any experience playing with this stuff your tank might not be the best place to learn....unlike metal pipes where the threads are cut with a die the threads on pvc fittings are formed in a 2 piece mold and generally have a seam running straight through the threads which is prone to leak...most of the teflon tape currently on the market is trash and after fighting with a well last summer i found the only stuff thats worthwhile is the grey Mega tape....the addition of teflon tape to a pipe joint also acts as a lubricant taking less force to screw the fittings together( allowing you to get metal fittings tighter ) but once again makes it easier to overtighten and crack plastic...
@snorklr just saved me a bit of typing. ;) I have not tried the grey Mega tape, but Blue Monster makes a great teflon tape. However, like @KStatefan mentioned, I prefer the liquid.

OP
OP
k954triniz

k954triniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the bulkhead fitting will be in side the tank, fully submerged so I will not be putting any sealant there because leaks inside the tank doesn’t really matter . I have a hang over tank setup tank is not drilled. The bulkhead fitting is being used as a adapter in my situation. So I will only be sealing pvc parts. But good to know about the abs thing.
mine person says liquid and the other tape. I’ll prefer liquid because in my experience as a aircraft mx it normally seals better but I’m no plumber. Decisions decisions

OP
OP
k954triniz

k954triniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@snorklr just saved me a bit of typing. ;) I have not tried the grey Mega tape, but Blue Monster makes a great teflon tape. However, like @KStatefan mentioned, I prefer the liquid.
I will probably go with the liquid form of the blue monster . I understand the tightness of the pvc is tricky but oddly I couldn’t find a barbed fitting with a 3/4 pvc slip end or I would have gotten that

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oatey also has a clear primer now to help with a clean finished look to your PVC plumbing. Also, if you wrap your exposed PVC pipe (with blue painters tape), below the spot where the fittings will join, you can then remove the tape when you are done to remove any excess glue. Again, just for a professional looking result.

OP
OP
k954triniz

k954triniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oatey also has a clear primer now to help with a clean finished look to your PVC plumbing. Also, if you wrap your exposed PVC pipe (with blue painters tape), below the spot where the fittings will join, you can then remove the tape when you are done to remove any excess glue. Again, just for a professional looking result.
That is true

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back