Qt and cupramine

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,
This is an update to an earlier post i had qt-ing 2 firefish in a 13g.

So far:
1) 5 m freshwater dip, then placed in qt.
2) days 1-5 praxipro, clean qt 25% water change
3) days 6-10 2nd dose praxipro, 25% water change

Cupramine
1) days 1-13 of cupramine after praxi, both firefish had healthy appettites, no breathing issues, no visible spots (water change on day 7 and added drops of cupramine to maintain 0.5)
2) days 13-21 both firefish would flash occassionally but still healthy and no spots, cupramine lvl closer to 0.6 after i did water change on day 14.

Obviously there is an issue and i am doing a water change today on day 21.

Should i continue w current method or should i give a 5m fresh water bath and maintain cupramine?

Any suggestion or input would be greatly appreciated, thx.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention during the whole process ammonia, nitrate & nitrite all at zero

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do a water change, do you add drops of Cupramine to the bucket (replacement water)? Or do you add Cupramine after the new water has already been dumped into the QT?

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st 13 days i was adding cupramine after wc, then it was suggested to add cupramine to new water 1st so since day 14 water change i added 10-11 drop in new water and measured above 0.5 and added a few more after to get closer to 0.6. Ive added cupramine to the new batch for wc today also.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st 13 days i was adding cupramine after wc, then it was suggested to add cupramine to new water 1st so since day 14 water change i added 10-11 drop in new water and measured above 0.5 and added a few more after to get closer to 0.6. Ive added cupramine to the new batch for wc today also.

Because a therapeutic level may not have been continuously maintained prior to Day 14, I would tack on 30 days of copper treatment from Day 14 onward.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the advise, would you think a fresh water dip would be good or just undue stress?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the advise, would you think a fresh water dip would be good or just undue stress?

I don't think a FW dip is necessary/needed at this point. Just keep the Cu therapeutic at all times and see if the scratching goes away.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx appreciate the input. Went with the dip today as they seemed quite irritable and were fighting w one another, then flashing. After the dip for 6 m freshwater and wc (added cupramine to new water so cu lvl slightly above 0.5), both are mellow, and eating well. So hopefully it works out.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back