QT Lighting

SabrinaC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love recommendations for a light under $200 for my 10 gallon QT tank (IM Nuvo Fusion Pro 2). It’s about 11” x 11” and 12” deep. I bought the Fluval Marine Nano LED light last summer, but feel like it doesn’t give my corals in QT good coloration. I was hoping to not spend hundreds on the light since it’s only a QT. I would still like to appreciate and enjoy the beautiful colors since it’s right by my work desk.

I tried placing the NICREW light I have on my 20 gallon fish/shrimp only tank, but that wasn’t great either. I was looking possibly at the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue Nano LED.

I would love personal recommendations on lights you have used that provides good coral coloration. Thank you!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the issue that your Fluval and Nicrew were both strong enough (I assume) but you just couldn't get the visual color balance that you liked? (I think that's it but just checking)

I like the Kessil A80 idea (used to have one) and see used ones for around $100 periodically. (There's one on OfferUp right now, FYI).
*note -- it's only 15 watts but I would think fine for that tank

EDIT -- post #2 is a good question to give a feel for what you like since Kessil has the shimmer that some like and some don't

OP
OP
SabrinaC

SabrinaC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the issue that your Fluval and Nicrew were both strong enough (I assume) but you just couldn't get the visual color balance that you liked? (I think that's it but just checking)

I like the Kessil A80 idea (used to have one) and see used ones for around $100 periodically. (There's one on OfferUp right now, FYI).
*note -- it's only 15 watts but I would think fine for that tank

EDIT -- post #2 is a good question to give a feel for what you like since Kessil has the shimmer that some like and some don't
Yes, they both provided enough lighting, but the corals looked almost washed out and didn’t “pop” like they would in the DT. Tried different color combos and really couldn’t find anything that made them really stand out. I’ll look more into that “shimmer” you’re talking about. Thank you.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really up to you, but a coral qt, is not exactly where you need your frags to Pop. It sounds like you've got a few lights that are perfectly suitable. The nicerew should be plenty. I run one over a qt as well.

If you want to spend money on a light that you like the pop of, You may want to go physically look at lights. See what they look like to you, since that's what you're after.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 44 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 29.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%

Back