QT Recommendation

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To preface, even when my 90G was up and running I never ran a QT. I'd buy livestock and all of it would go to the DT. I really lucked out in that my livestock didn't get sick and my additions were of sound mind and heart. When I get my 120G up and running I'll have a few extra spare parts lying around. I absolutely require a QT.

I have an old ETSS-400 skimmer, a TEK 8X54W T5 system and a few powerheads (I will buy more). I'll build another sump. The stand will be redone, painted/stained, then varnished. The stand was originally built for a 75G. When I upgraded to 90, I built the stand up a bit to handle both the extra weight and extra width. With all that said, what size would y'all put on the stand? 55, 75 or 90? The old tank is toast, so that's off the table. Or are there any other ideas you have? Thanks!!!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size is completely up to you. I didn't even use a glass tank once, just a bin from home depot.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To some extent the size of the QT depends on what size fish you'll be running through it (that is, which species and at what size at purchase), and in what numbers (one at a time as is usually best, or a huge online order all at once).

The difference between a 55 and 90 in terms of these criteria is pretty minimal, though, so maybe whatever's cheapest. But it may be interesting to consider whether you have use also for a coral QT tank, and then maybe even putting two 24" tanks on that stand might be an idea.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go that large. Will make water changes more of a chore. Advice above is solid.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s my current fish in QT. It’s 20G, HOB filter, an air pump and air stone, heater, about a cup of sand. He’s done with 30 days copper, two rounds of prazi.

D03F278BDF8E_1711239917.jpeg

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing to consider for a fish QT is that the larger the tank, the more medication will be required to dose. I prefer somewhere between a 20 and 40 gallon QT to keep things manageable. Remember, Qt is temporary housing, so unless you are buying huge fish, a smaller tank will normally suffice.

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't say what you intend to put in the new tank - but if you plan on something like sps you should seriously think about a separate coral QT tank as well.

Also, if your main tank is 120 I don't really see the need for a 90g fish QT tank - something between 20-40 would be just fine (and preferred).

OP
OP
PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with a mixed reef tank. I do plan on SOME SPS, but am going to concentrate on LPS amd softies..And yes, dilution would be an issue with a larger tank. Didn't think of that. So. OK. A side by side does sound good.....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back