Quarantine questions

moose11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I know this may seem silly or trivial, however I alway have liked green chromis. Now it’s difficult to add one to my tank given the fact that the LFS I trust doesn’t ever have them and buying them quarantined even comes with a disclaimer that they may have uronema. I really don’t want to add that to my tank.

I’ve had one in quarantine for nearly 2 months. I did suggested metroplex treatment and have just been watching him since. Eats well, swims enthusiastically, etc.

I also want to add in the fact that I bought 3, from petco. 2 died mysteriously one on day 3 and 5, however no red band or sores or signs of uronema that I was able to tell or see visually (I did not do a scale/skin scrape or anything as I don’t have a microscope or the knowledge to understand what I’m looking at anyways)

Is it safe to assume that after (x) period of days they’re free of uronema? Is there a time limit for uronema remaining dormant in a fish? Or is it not worth adding to my tank due to high risk of this fish having it?

Thanks so much in advance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I know this may seem silly or trivial, however I alway have liked green chromis. Now it’s difficult to add one to my tank given the fact that the LFS I trust doesn’t ever have them and buying them quarantined even comes with a disclaimer that they may have uronema. I really don’t want to add that to my tank.

I’ve had one in quarantine for nearly 2 months. I did suggested metroplex treatment and have just been watching him since. Eats well, swims enthusiastically, etc.

I also want to add in the fact that I bought 3, from petco. 2 died mysteriously one on day 3 and 5, however no red band or sores or signs of uronema that I was able to tell or see visually (I did not do a scale/skin scrape or anything as I don’t have a microscope or the knowledge to understand what I’m looking at anyways)

Is it safe to assume that after (x) period of days they’re free of uronema? Is there a time limit for uronema remaining dormant in a fish? Or is it not worth adding to my tank due to high risk of this fish having it?

Thanks so much in advance
Uronema is found free living in many/most aquariums, it normally feeds on bacteria. Nobody knows why it develops into internal infections in certain fish. It is virtually always only seen in newly acquired fish; damsels, anthias, yellow wrasse and a few others.
You should just give all new fish a good quarantine process.

OP
OP
moose11

moose11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing the quarantine and prophylactic treatment process. I recently followed and finished the metro process with this particular fish. While I did read that metro isn’t necessarily the end all for uronema I don’t trust formalin and I’ve read it’s no longer reccomended really due to the carcinogenic nature of the treatment and the reduction in life span of fish subjected to it. I also don’t want to risk it for myself personally.

I also understood that metro will attack the parasite as long as it isn’t intercellular and can disrupt the life sequence of the parasite which is why I decided to try that route, unless I missed something.

Given that it’s likely present in most aquariums and this fish is not showing symptoms after the length of time I’ve had him (and mostly new fish are most at risk)does that mean I should be safe to add it into the DT? Or was he symptom free due to treatment? would you hold in observation for a certain period of days/weeks/months before adding? Is there another prophylactic treatment to follow to be safe?

Thanks again Jay for your time. I’ve read many posts from you and really appreciate what you do and the time you dedicate to assisting people in this hobby.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing the quarantine and prophylactic treatment process. I recently followed and finished the metro process with this particular fish. While I did read that metro isn’t necessarily the end all for uronema I don’t trust formalin and I’ve read it’s no longer reccomended really due to the carcinogenic nature of the treatment and the reduction in life span of fish subjected to it. I also don’t want to risk it for myself personally.

I also understood that metro will attack the parasite as long as it isn’t intercellular and can disrupt the life sequence of the parasite which is why I decided to try that route, unless I missed something.

Given that it’s likely present in most aquariums and this fish is not showing symptoms after the length of time I’ve had him (and mostly new fish are most at risk)does that mean I should be safe to add it into the DT? Or was he symptom free due to treatment? would you hold in observation for a certain period of days/weeks/months before adding? Is there another prophylactic treatment to follow to be safe?

Thanks again Jay for your time. I’ve read many posts from you and really appreciate what you do and the time you dedicate to assisting people in this hobby.
I’m not sure what quarantine protocol you followed, but if it was an effective process, then I generally wait 2 weeks upon the conclusion to look for any relapses before moving fish out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back