Quarantining Brittle Stars?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I got some new inverts that were in a tank with some fish, and I plan to keep them in isolation for 76 days. However, one of them is a brittle star, and I’m getting mixed info on whether echinoderms need to be quarantined. A lot of what I’ve read seems to indicate that ich cannot attach to them, and a simple rinse should take care of it. Is this true?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I actually wound up moving it straight to the DT, because it was starting to die in the quarantine tank. It’s now doing much better. Hopefully I made a good call and didn’t possibly infect my tank.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I actually wound up moving it straight to the DT, because it was starting to die in the quarantine tank. It’s now doing much better. Hopefully I made a good call and didn’t possibly infect my tank.
No problem. I did some research, and it seems that they can carry ich. None of the fish you got has ich that you are aware of right?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I did some research, and it seems that they can carry ich. None of the fish you got has ich that you are aware of right?
None of my fish at the moment have ich, and none appeared to have any at the store either. Quarantining the inverts was more precautionary than anything else, so I’m not terribly concerned about the possibility of it bringing in any disease.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to throw in my two cents here - a lot of critters live in (literally) or on echinoderms; while a thorough rinsing should theoretically remove any on the outside, there's always the off chance it won't (it could miss something, something could be holding on too tightly, could be blocked from the direct flow and be able to stay on, etc.), and there's always a small chance that something is inside the echinoderm/somewhere a rinse won't remove it.

So, while the odds of them bringing in fish disease are incredibly low, they're not zero, even when rinsed. As Jay Hemdal has said, "anything "wet" can transfer some disease propagules," so - from a biosecurity standpoint - the safest route is a full QT of anything coming into a tank.

I've only heard of a handful of cases where something other than a fish brought in disease, so you're probably fine, but there's always a chance you could join the ranks of the unlucky few who did have disease brought in by inverts, corals, etc.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back