Question about sistering a joist

flyinbryan4295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting a 150g tank on the main floor of my house. Its parallel to a load bearing wall and sits across 4 floor joists. In order to reinforce the floor, I was planning on sistering the joists. The problem I've run into is I have cross bracing between the joists. Am I better off removing the cross bracing to install the sister joists full length, or should I just reinforce the joists in the area where I have room? I plan to turn the area into an entertainment room, so posts are sub-optimal.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'm putting a 150g tank on the main floor of my house. Its parallel to a load bearing wall and sits across 4 floor joists. In order to reinforce the floor, I was planning on sistering the joists. The problem I've run into is I have cross bracing between the joists. Am I better off removing the cross bracing to install the sister joists full length, or should I just reinforce the joists in the area where I have room? I plan to turn the area into an entertainment room, so posts are sub-optimal.
If you are spamming 4 floor joists it should be sufficient. What dimension are you joists?

Upvote 0

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the cross bracings as you’re working in each ‘bay’, then install new ones after sistering.

Keep in mind that sistering only adds significant strength when run continuous from load bearing to load bearing points. What are the load bearing walls built as?

Also your subfloor might be fastened to those bracings, which could lead to squeaks in the finished floor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flyinbryan4295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the cross bracings as you’re working in each ‘bay’, then install new ones after sistering.

Keep in mind that sistering only adds significant strength when run continuous from load bearing to load bearing points. What are the load bearing walls built as?

Also your subfloor might be fastened to those bracings, which could lead to squeaks in the finished floor.
One end of the joist is on the sill plate, the other rests on the main metal beam. The tank sits about 1 foot from the wall over the sill plate.

Upvote 0

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Are you sure they are 2x8? That seems awfully small Doug fur is only rated to span 10’8”.

Upvote 0

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You should t have any problem removing you cross braces while you install the new joists. Mail them every 12-16 inches with 5-6 nails across their span to increase their strength. With the floor attached there is little chance of them moving, but replace the crosses or at least horizontal bracing so they don’t move until the ceiling is installed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flyinbryan4295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should t have any problem removing you cross braces while you install the new joists. Mail them every 12-16 inches with 5-6 nails across their span to increase their strength. With the floor attached there is little chance of them moving, but replace the crosses or at least horizontal bracing so they don’t move until the ceiling is installed.
Sounds good. Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
No problem. Prior to starting our pods business while I have been recovering from surgeries trying to fix the years of abuse in my body, I am a general contractor with 28 years of experience.

Upvote 0

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hire an engineer it’s actually a lot cheaper than you’d think and nothing better than their expert opinion for peace of mind

We had one checkout and draw up upgrades in support prior to installing our 300

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back