Question about Spectracide Stump Remover dosing

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one negative thing I have noticed is one of my plating monti's is turning grey. Randy, is it possible that my potassium level dropped from dosing potassium nitrate? I would think it would have gone up if anything. So far my nitrates are around 1.5ppm

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it will move potassium much one way or the other in the short term. If anything, it may cause a small and slow rise.

The K:N ratio in potassium nitrate (2.8) is higher than the K:N ratio in macroalgae (maybe 0.05 to 0.5), for example, so adding KNO3 and thereby boosting macroalgae growth should not be able to cause a decline in potassium.

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
73c8d7d8783518a9e1dce87280cf1fe0.jpg

Looks like I need to juice my tank. ...

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a person starts dosing do they get off? If you have a low nutrient system, and you don't want one, you still haven't solved the underlying issue. Is this a quick fix or a way of reefing that some just have to do?

OP
OP
sfg

sfg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I started dosing as I wanted to know if nitrates was the underlying issue with my SPS turning pale and the recent slow growth I've noticed. All my parameters were in check and I couldn't narrow down what the issue was. I never started into this with the assumption that I would be dosing nitrates for the long term.

One I started I quickly realized (within days) that the lack of was indeed my issue.

I got into SPS with the understanding that 0 nutrient was the ideal target. Come to find out that's not the case.

What I didn't try way cutting back on my macro algae. I always pushed to have as much as I could to help with the export process.

With a consistent 2 weeks of dosing every other day and a combination of slowly cutting back on the macro I believe I've come to a balance. I haven't dosed now in about a week and my nitrates have held steady at around 5ppm. Other than cutting back on my macro I haven't changed anything else.

I'm still testing every other day and will continue to do so for a few more weeks. If in the end I don't have to dose i will feel comfortable with just leaving things as they are and continue to keep the amount of macro as it stands today... About 1/3 of what I originally had.

A few here from what I understand continue to dose when they see tell tell signs of fading with their acros.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing as I wanted to know if nitrates was the underlying issue with my SPS turning pale and the recent slow growth I've noticed. All my parameters were in check and I couldn't narrow down what the issue was. I never started into this with the assumption that I would be dosing nitrates for the long term.

One I started I quickly realized (within days) that the lack of was indeed my issue.

I got into SPS with the understanding that 0 nutrient was the ideal target. Come to find out that's not the case.

What I didn't try way cutting back on my macro algae. I always pushed to have as much as I could to help with the export process.

With a consistent 2 weeks of dosing every other day and a combination of slowly cutting back on the macro I believe I've come to a balance. I haven't dosed now in about a week and my nitrates have held steady at around 5ppm. Other than cutting back on my macro I haven't changed anything else.

I'm still testing every other day and will continue to do so for a few more weeks. If in the end I don't have to dose i will feel comfortable with just leaving things as they are and continue to keep the amount of macro as it stands today... About 1/3 of what I originally had.

A few here from what I understand continue to dose when they see tell tell signs of fading with their acros.
That makes sense. I dug myself a hole that I'm been trying to get out of for about 5 weeks. Things have been coming around slowly. Still no nitrates or phosphates but color is coming back strong. At it's worse it took algae over 2 weeks to go on my glass. No w I'm at 4 to 5 days.
I think my corals are soaking up my nitrates all they can right now.
I need more fish to ease my feeding schedule but until then I'll feed, feed, feed.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a person starts dosing do they get off? If you have a low nutrient system, and you don't want one, you still haven't solved the underlying issue. Is this a quick fix or a way of reefing that some just have to do?
In my situation I might have to dose for long term.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about tank balance. The underlying issue is export, import and uptake
There are a lot of people who just feed more, get more fish and so on but in turn adds other issues like increased po4
To avoid that increase of po4 which algae loves then dose no3 and cut back on the feedings :)

shane reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so now I wanna play. I have bought all items need to make the potion. So I have zero nitrates and wanna raise to 5ppm . I have a will call it 75gal total volume. How many ml do I need to add to raise it to my desired of 5ppm?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so now I wanna play. I have bought all items need to make the potion. So I have zero nitrates and wanna raise to 5ppm . I have a will call it 75gal total volume. How many ml do I need to add to raise it to my desired of 5ppm?
Follow my directions up top and you will have what you are looking for :)

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see your way out?
There is no way out for me. I have been dosing kno3 for a year now. This is my test results after no water change in 4 months, 11 fish dying in my system in the last 2 months, 40 dead sps. I didn't remove the fish after they died. I didn't dose kno3 for 2 weeks.
faf3063daa9a39f8f219fd961de5e094.jpg

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you don't want to add more equipment to pull po4 then yes dosing no3 should be just another part of your dosing system.
I really don't think you understand. It's essential for me to dose kno3 because nothing else can be done about it. I do have equipment to remove Po4.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going up to 5 ppm in at once ok to do? Or should I do it slowly?
Trying to increase it that much at once could lead to an overdose. As far as effects on livestock there really shouldn't be any to increase 5pm at once. I would strongly suggest trying to increase it 1ppm at a time though. That way if you overdose to 6ppm it's no big deal. Accidentally dosing to 50ppm would more than likely be a problem.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way out for me. I have been dosing kno3 for a year now. This is my test results after no water change in 4 months, 11 fish dying in my system in the last 2 months, 40 dead sps. I didn't remove the fish after they died. I didn't dose kno3 for 2 weeks.
faf3063daa9a39f8f219fd961de5e094.jpg

What happened? 11 fish? 40 sps?

I had to remove my bio-pellets and most of the phosguard and carbon (for now). I'm feeding a lot 2 to 3 times a day, just to dig out of my hole. Right now feeding is working. Color is coming back.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back