Question: Siphon or move pot to a fry tank???

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for experience clownfish breeder. Wondering what percentage will siphon the larvae after hatching in the same tank or do you take out the pot and move to a fry tank to hatch? Which is your preference and why? For those that siphon, please explain procedure and what materials is used.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends for me. If they have laid on the pot it would be silly to not just take the pot and switch it for another. Mine however were less than helpful and often layed on the glass behind the tile I used so I had to either let them hatch and larval snag them or remove them the night they were due to hatch. For this I simply used a razor blade and small bore airline for suction (you might need something between your teeth also to bite on for when the clowns attack).

The problem with a pot is its harder to get the eggs off without damaging them so swapping it out on the night they are due to hatch is far easier on everyone and will improve your yield.

Good luck with it.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the pot out is the easiest. If they are on something that can't be remove I scoop them out with a measuring cup. It is time consuming, usually taking several hours after the lights go out. I don't siphon with a hose as it has caused high mortality rates.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 64 48.9%
  • Full frame

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back