Questions about my DIY acrylic frag tank

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can salvage the project. I guess this just makes me glad I am a dinosaur and prefer glass for my projects. No matter how bad you screw up a silicone job, you can always cut it apart and start over. :) Hope you get all of the issues resolved and end up with a really nice frag tank!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all else fails you can try Epoxy. Position the seam so it is at the bottom so the epoxy settles there only, Don't forget ruffing up bonding surface and mask area you don't want the epoxy on.(dremal tool) (REMEMBER TO REMOVE TAPE BEFORE EPOXY HARDENS) note: Use an Epoxy with at least an 45-60 minute working time.(one seam at a time)

The hardest part is keepnf the tank in the correct position till Epoxy hardens.

Gazog2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it look really good for your first time! If it was me I would use the #16 on the seams with the little bubbles, tilting it just like T J's reef said,
you won't need a whole lot, but let it dry really good before moving it so it does not sag.

And I speak from experience, watch that #16 stuff, it tends to run out of the tube right where you don't want it to. I would cover all the surfaces that
you want to keep clear with wax paper or a heavy butcher paper (which you usually can get from a local butcher for a small fee or even free) before
working with it.

On the bottom since you really won't see it you might take a small piece, say 1/4" x 1" and glue it right into the corner laying the 1" flat on the bottom.
This would insure no leaks at all. I am just a little concerned that it might be to big a gap to make for a really good seal even for #16.

OP
OP
chopper320

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update. I got it all together and it has held water for 3 days now with no leaking. Im happy with it for my first build. Thanks for everyone's help!
image.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back