Quoyi parrot long term success

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how many have kept one for over a year? Over 2?

Share your success stories, and pictures!

I'm also interested in hearing from any parrot owners past or present, regarding long term survivability of these beautiful fish.

Thanks

Steve1310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0a1f53a4230281a46e9e603cbfd65dca.jpg

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for two years I got off of DD. Ended up with bad ich in the tank and had to go fallow. Because of an accident in the temporary tanks, lost about 6 fish, the parrot being one. I now have a Striped parrot going on three years. When I got Striped, the Quoyi were hard to find Wish I had waited. May add a Quoyi at some time and see if the two can get along. Here is the Quoyi, I really miss that fish. The stripped is too ugly to post. Quoyi Parrotfish.jpg

Steve1310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh I’ve only seen one in a display tank and then this one came in my local fish store so I bought it ! I’ve never seen any in fish stores so I had to get it

OP
OP
G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mtfish

Did your quoyi retain its bright colors over the 2 yr span, or did it fade?

OP
OP
G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mtfish and steve1310.

Any other successful parrot owners out there?

Last edited:

Kyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has one right now. I have been reading up on them quite a bit. Considering going back for it

My LFS says it’s totally reef safe but other say no. What us been everyone’s experience?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two, both were completely reef safe.

I did not have long term success. They both ate vigorously from the get go and then after about 6 months they started eating less and less and gradually withered away. I don't think I'll try again.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two, both were completely reef safe.

I did not have long term success. They both ate vigorously from the get go and then after about 6 months they started eating less and less and gradually withered away. I don't think I'll try again.
Salty, did you have much algae in the tank? Mine graze constantly, and eat frozen foods like pigs. I think in a too clean tank (ie. lots of peoples reef tanks) they may not do too good long term. I have lots of algae on my rocks and feed a large nori sheet each day (multiple tangs also). I think if I did not have the accident the fish would still be with me at 5 year mark (although I will never know for sure). I still believe that internal parasites is what makes these fish go down hill. Treatment for parasites is a must if you plan to get this fish.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty, did you have much algae in the tank? Mine graze constantly, and eat frozen foods like pigs. I think in a too clean tank (ie. lots of peoples reef tanks) they may not do too good long term. I have lots of algae on my rocks and feed a large nori sheet each day (multiple tangs also). I think if I did not have the accident the fish would still be with me at 5 year mark (although I will never know for sure). I still believe that internal parasites is what makes these fish go down hill. Treatment for parasites is a must if you plan to get this fish.

No that is a very good point. I had very little algae and never was successful in getting either one of them to eat nori. The second one would eat from my hand but never would take the nori. He was treated with General Cure/Focus for 2 weeks in QT.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know @Maritimer keeps them.

My first one never ate in my care, for over a month.

Second one did well, eating every type of food I tried him with, and his color increased while in my display. All hunky-dory, until the tank came down with what I believe may have been Brooklynella. Treated for velvet at the time, and lost a lot of fish, including the parrot. Less than a year.

Would try again.

~Bruce

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first one never ate in my care, for over a month.

Second one did well, eating every type of food I tried him with, and his color increased while in my display. All hunky-dory, until the tank came down with what I believe may have been Brooklynella. Treated for velvet at the time, and lost a lot of fish, including the parrot. Less than a year.

Would try again.

~Bruce

Third time lucky Bruce! You know you can now. Last time was just bad luck.

Mick.

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now going through a thinning phase with my Quoyis. I've had the fish in my system for about 2 months, the guy I got it from had it a few months before me. He was tearing down his tank due to an upcoming move. I received several of his fish at that time. All are fat and happy ( except the Quoyi) My system is considerably "cleaner" in way of algae in the display. But it does eat nori which is fed daily, and most pellet forms and flake foods. I've even put caulerpa and chaetomorpha from my sump that it eats.
I am thinking that since it is eating, grazing on the rock work and eating the algae film on the sand, that hopefully it will fatten back up? I'm using Hex-Shield pellets right now in conjunction with metro/focus infused frozen food in case it's an internal parasite issue.
Any recommendations are welcome.
@D_Reep1106

OP
OP
G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great input all, I appreciate it.

Surprised to see only one report of one being kept over a year.

Any others have experiences to share?

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine for about 3 years. He eats frozen, pellets, and nori. Always extremely busy throughout the day cleaning the rockwork. He eats a lot of coralline algae as well. I was a little concerned that he may scratch my acrylic with his beak, but on the few times that I’ve let my front panel get dirty enough for him to have an interest it, I couldn’t see any damage.

Tangs seem to shoo him off grazing spots but the parrot doesn’t seem bothered by just moving over to a new spot. You should probably expect some compatibility issues with other wrasses though unless the system is huge. Mine was pretty consistently mean to a fairy wrasse that I had to move to a different system and I know someone whose large aggressive wrasse killed his parrot.

To me, he’s been a very easy to keep fish that does a lot for algae control and I’ve enjoyed him a lot. Mine is just now starting to develop a little of its adult coloration...but it’s possible that I have a different species of parrot.

15A770FA-ACCE-4C59-9193-4ED6824AE6F2.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back