Radion and I broke up! Went back to my old girl, MH

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the ReefBrite MH Hybrid system. Is that what you purchased?

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update.... i am extremely impressed with change. however the luxcore ballasts are completely subpar. i tried 3 different bulb brands and these ballasts flat out do not fire a 20k spectrum. needless to say i will be swapping them out soon.

i will start documenting coral progress shots so show the different....

side note i sold the radions over one of my prop systems as well and put a the (2) 175w Reefbrite MH over it... holy cow is those lights are amazing.

You can set the ballast to match the type of bulb? I found the Luxcore to be a pretty good ballast and I have a lot a ballasts including the magnetic old school ones to compare it to.

OP
OP
kannon50

kannon50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can set the ballast to match the type of bulb? I found the Luxcore to be a pretty good ballast and I have a lot a ballasts including the magnetic old school ones to compare it to.
Its all about efficiency, on how it fires the bulb. I borrowed a friend of mines Lumatek ballasts just to try it out to figure out exactly what the difference would be .... the Lumatek makes the Radium much more bluer than the Luxcore and gave me about 180+ par. I also tested out 250w radium bulb with the Luxcore and it put out about 150+ par than it did with the 400w. again back to efficiency... not saying the Luxcore is a bad ballast just saying that it doesnt perform how i expected it too

I was looking at the ReefBrite MH Hybrid system. Is that what you purchased?

i thought i was ordering the hybrid, i only wanted the Tech LED's so i figured if i didnt order the "Upgraded Leds" then the lights with come with Tech Leds.... not the case... 2 fixtures and 2 ballasts were $650. I plan on adding a DIY led strip to the front and the back in the next few weeks.

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about efficiency, on how it fires the bulb. I borrowed a friend of mines Lumatek ballasts just to try it out to figure out exactly what the difference would be .... the Lumatek makes the Radium much more bluer than the Luxcore and gave me about 180+ par. I also tested out 250w radium bulb with the Luxcore and it put out about 150+ par than it did with the 400w. again back to efficiency... not saying the Luxcore is a bad ballast just saying that it doesnt perform how i expected it too

That is really weird. The more blue the radium is the less power it is getting from the ballast, so the less PAR you should get. But you found the opposite.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it comes down to what your trying to do with the LED or T5's. Is it a supplement? Will they be on when the MH is turned off? If only a pop in color while the MH is off then stick with the leds.

Also 175 w or 250w for a 60 g cube?

Jayellul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, without even going into the 'cant grow coral' 'cant colour coral' debate, the light radions emit just looks **** IMO

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back