Radium vs Hamilton 20k spectrum

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I tried clicking on about us and nothing. Oh well.

actually I get an "about us" web page. Pages are not https: so some browsers may not open it.
Website 2006, plus 7 years.. 2013

innov.JPG

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of using an m80 ballast with the 250w radiums is not really much for color to the eye but to make sure we get the proper life and par from the bulbs. On a m80 ballast a radium should last about 14+months with no significant drop in par, compared to under a year on a electronic ballast that will underdrive the bulb severely.
Are these still in stock at Aquarium Specialty or have they not updated their website?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JDA, I like you buddy, you're a wealth of MH information, but I have to ding you on this one, lol.

Are you reading?

"FACTORY DIRECT - USUALLY SHIPS OUT WITHIN 1-2 Days"

That's from Hamilton and I can tell you for 100% they don't have them. I've checked.

European making them? Possible, no idea.

A couple guys tried to order and it’s not available. Somebody needs to call Aquarium Specialty and tell them to update their website.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the next best ballast and bulb that can compete with the 250w Radium for PAR, Growth, etc. Looks like the M80’s are done. At least anything new.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old argument of Radium only run properly on M80 or to spec is back again. I always used MH lamps with Coralvue electronic ballast. I started with Reeflux 12K lamps from coralvue and then moved to Radium and Phoenix. Both Phoenix and Radium matched in PAR output and visually to the eye. Lamps averaged 16 months. I had one go 24 months and one only lasted 12 months. Lamps where changed when they dropped more than 10% in PAR values. I have not run MH since 2016, I miss the growth, not the ugly large pendants needed to light up my tanks and dissipate the heat. M80 ballast put out more watts so the lamps where more white with more PAR values. I guess I need to add pictures
300 with mh on (2).jpg

DSA Full (2).jpg

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the magic with the old M80’s? Why doesn’t nothing else compare and what is the best option to drive that 250w Radium closest to spec.?
Just wattage. The m80's drive 300 plus watts through the "250w" bulbs.
Changes output and spectrum.
Now did Geisseman tweak the bulbs to be more compatible w/ modern electronic ballasts? What are current " specs"?

Even in super lumens or whatever electronic ballasts they never push 300 plus watts
May not be exact numbers.
Also opens another question.
What is the output of the current Geisseman supplied ballasts?
Magnetic or electronic? Wattage?
Hybrid? Only thing I'm sure if is they are dual mh/t5 ballasts

Exact numbers ..
;)

M80's 333 watts @"250".
Screenshot_20221227-085059.png

Last edited:

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference in most lamps some where Pulse Start (Radium, Reflux, Phoenix) which worked on M80, M153 (I think) and Electronic. Probe Start XM and 250w Ushio. Some had issues with lamps starting worked with M57 through M59. Early Coralvue ballast output was like 275w, later ballast had a 250+ setting.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is long gone apparently. So what is the next best option to dive that bulb close to spec to get the same par and bulb life.
Everything lately in life has been so relative! Unfortunately things aren't that easy as substitute a ballast for MH and call it a day, IF you want to expect the BEST out f it. When the manufacturer designs the MH they determine the ins and outs of that bulb and all specs follow that!
There will be no other ballast that would drive the Radium 250W like the M80.
There is an option to the Radium 250W, and that should be considered for those who can't get their hands on that M80 ballast, but only IF tey are worried to get the very best out of that bulb in terms of life and spectrum in the long run!! One can be fine using the Radium with 250W without any problems and still get great results with their corals.
In other hand they could get the Hamilton 250W 20K and use with electronic ballast. The Radium was designed to work optimally with the M80 and the Hamilton 20K was designed to work optimally with electronic ballast. They will look basically the same to the human eyes an will give superb results when used as designed in the long run.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wattage. The m80's drive 300 plus watts through the "250w" bulbs.
Changes output and spectrum.
Now did Geisseman tweak the bulbs to be more compatible w/ modern electronic ballasts? What are current " specs"?

Even in super lumens or whatever electronic ballasts they never push 300 plus watts
May not be exact numbers.
Also opens another question.
What is the output of the current Geisseman supplied ballasts?
Magnetic or electronic? Wattage?
Hybrid? Only thing I'm sure if is they are dual mh/t5 ballasts

Exact numbers ..
;)

M80's 333 watts @"250".
Screenshot_20221227-085059.png

That’s a pretty significant difference.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything lately in life has been so relative! Unfortunately things aren't that easy as substitute a ballast for MH and call it a day, IF you want to expect the BEST out f it. When the manufacturer designs the MH they determine the ins and outs of that bulb and all specs follow that!
There will be no other ballast that would drive the Radium 250W like the M80.
There is an option to the Radium 250W, and that should be considered for those who can't get their hands on that M80 ballast, but only IF tey are worried to get the very best out of that bulb in terms of life and spectrum in the long run!! One can be fine using the Radium with 250W without any problems and still get great results with their corals.
In other hand they could get the Hamilton 250W 20K and use with electronic ballast. The Radium was designed to work optimally with the M80 and the Hamilton 20K was designed to work optimally with electronic ballast. They will look basically the same to the human eyes an will give superb results when used as designed in the long run.

Does Hamilton make a 250w 14K? I think they do if I remember correctly.

Which ballast is the best for a 250w 20K or 14K? Can you Link it here. LuXcore or Icecap?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Hamilton make a 250w 14K? I think they do if I remember correctly.

Which ballast is the best for a 250w 20K or 14K? Can you Link it here. LuXcore or Icecap?
LuXcore and Icecap are basically the same thing in regards to the ability to be used with the range of bulbs in existence IMO.

Either electronic ballasts can be used for all current Hamilton bulbs. You can get the selectable ballasts or Hamilton electronic ballast, if you find. The 250W Hamilton can be used also with M58 ballasts without any problems. As Hamilton states either type of ballasts will run their bubs. It's all about the recommendation from the factory, by design.

There must be a huge number of people going back to halides and the stocks are going out really fast!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LuXcore and Icecap are basically the same thing in regards to the ability to be used with the range of bulbs in existence IMO.

Either electronic ballasts can be used for all current Hamilton bulbs. You can get the selectable ballasts or Hamilton electronic ballast, if you find. The 250W Hamilton can be used also with M58 ballasts without any problems. As Hamilton states either type of ballasts will run their bubs. It's all about the recommendation from the factory, by design.

There must be a huge number of people going back to halides and the stocks are going out really fast!

Thank you for all the info!

Out of those 3 ballast and bulbs, which would you use today if you started over?

Or would you go with something completely different.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the info!

Out of those 3 ballast and bulbs, which would you use today if you started over?

Or would you go with something completely different.
You're very welcome!
I like the Hamilton 20K a lot.
Their 14K also.
The easiest way to go without any trouble finding gear today.
It's really up to you. Can't go wrong with halides.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're very welcome!
I like the Hamilton 20K a lot.
Their 14K also.
The easiest way to go without any trouble finding gear today.
It's really up to you. Can't go wrong with halides.

Well apparently Hamilton is no longer making the Cayman Sun Reflectors anymore. Somebody said they bought the last two. Can anybody confirm with Dave what’s going on.? Will Hamilton no longer carry anything under 20x20?

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was 2008 and we could buy all of this stuff anywhere, any time.... Does anyone know if the IceCap LuxCore 150w-250w electric ballast will power and run DE bulbs in a Cayman Sun Reflector? I am considering the DE Phoenix 14k or the DE Hamilton 20k.

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was 2008 and we could buy all of this stuff anywhere, any time.... Does anyone know if the IceCap LuxCore 150w-250w electric ballast will power and run DE bulbs in a Cayman Sun Reflector? I am considering the DE Phoenix 14k or the DE Hamilton 20k.
It will and it should be plug and play without modifying connectors.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back