OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning all the fry were off the bottom and were swimming around so I hope they're fine. Also do I keep the fry tank just a little lighter green than the rotifer bucket?

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there were some eggs that didn't hatch the first night and hatched last night so I collected about 20 more and now I have about 60-70 fry and it looks like I lost only about 5 fry. the rest of them look great and are swimming and eating normally but I have to go out of state for a couple days and I'm having my sister feed them so hopefully none die when I'm gone. Also when should I start feeding otohime A? Day 7?

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have about 50 fry and got another 5 gallon tank for the eggs that should hatch this saturday. CAN WAIT!!!!

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: eggs hatched on Saturday and I collected about 70 fry. Most of the older fry have one stripe and the clowns laid another clutch of eggs yesterday (April 8th). Here's a picture of both fry and new clutch of eggs. taken with my phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1428519007453.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428519017419.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428519037020.jpg

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I mixed the second hatch (which is 13 days old) with the first hatch (24 days old) all in a 10 gallon to make room for the clown fish that just hatched yesterday, so now I have about 230 baby clowns. About 55 have their first and second stripe, around 70 are starting to get their first stripe and about 100 are brand new and none are dead so far. I have a couple question :
1. When do the black baby clowns start turning black
2. When can I add in the sponge filter and does it need to be in my running system to gain bacteria before going into the grow out tank?
Thanks

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once the clowns hatch how many rotifers by volume do you feed them without polluting the water?
You want to have a density of 10 to 15 rots per ml. It's better to have not enough food and have to add more in a few hours than too much food that will pollute the tank.

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I gusstamate since I've been doing this for a while. You can take a sample of 1 ml and count. To give you a rough estimate. The point I'm trying to get across is don't over feed. For a 10g larvae tank I usually put 2000 ml of rotifer water through a sive and feed what is collected. I usually have to add more rots later in the day.

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually filter 2 cups of rotifers and put it in 1 gallon of fresh salt water and tint it green. Then i siphen the bottom of the 10 gallon tank of dead babies and other junk. After that i slowly add the fresh saltwater/rotifer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back