Ralph, the Luckiest Goby: A Lesson on Jumpers.

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post this story for two reasons: First and foremost, as a lesson to anyone who owns, is considering owning, or will own fish that are known to jump. Second, for humorous/entertainment purposes.

Over the weekend my LED strip fizzled out on me. Found out salt creep made it's way into the switch and ruined it. Throughout this troubleshooting process I had to remove the hoods from my tank, leaving the top exposed.

I already knew Gobies can be jumpers, but my tank is fairly deep and I have yet to see him venture higher than about 6 inches from his caves. So, I figured one night without the hoods wouldn't hurt anything, so I left them off, planning on ordering new lights the next day.

The next day I ended up repairing the light and reinstalled it with the hoods. Wooo!! Saved some $$$.

I pull the door to my sump open to check water levels and operation and to my astonishment, THERE'S RALPH, my Gold Spotted Goby swimming around in an empty chamber of my sump that used to be used for a skimmer! I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing because I couldn't figure out how he could have possibly gotten in there.

He can't swim through the overflow, as the slots are far too small. He can't swim through the pump, for obvious reasons.

After about 10-15 minutes of looking around the tank I could come to only one conclusion:

He jumped out, was lucky enough to have hit one of the PVC pipes in the back, which ricochet'd him into the sump. I assume he bounched off of the pipe because of the wires that would have obstructed his ability to flop from the floor into the sump. I suppose it's possible, but an even farther stretch then what I already think happened (which is a stretch in and of itself).

You can view his journey in the pic below.

Lesson? Never leave a suicidal fish with a way to finish the job.

Luckiest Goby.jpg

Jk jk jk...but I seriously underestimated this guy.

R€€F @DD¡ÇT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff. Glad it's alive.

Talking about jumpers. Yesterday a zebra dartfish jumped through my mesh top. No idea how long it was out if water for but I popped it into the sump and it's still breathing 24hrs later.

ad5e4486f2d31f1e40d3700d21d7bd1c.jpg

Must've jumped vertically in order to get through there. Hoping it survives.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your story had a happy ending! My Hawaiian cleaner wrasse, Alvin, jumped a couple of months ago. He gets hyper at feeding time. Lucky I found him quickly (and didn't step on him, lol). Now I have a screen around the tank.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a window screen that surrounds the tank all the way around. Kind of like a shower curtain and I can slide it (just like a shower curtain) for feeding and cleaning. Any fish would have to jump about 16" straight up in order to commit suicide.

The nice thing about a curtain is that a fish won't break his neck or get a spinal injury.

Glad to hear Ralph made it so lucky. [emoji256]

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 33.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back