Randy Recommended DIY Two Part Recipes

VLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley,

Following your sodium hydroxide recipe for boosting pH, I did some calculations based on using sodium hydroxide with a 98.5% purity. My results show about 1837 meq/L or 5144 dKH. Should I increase the grams to reach 1900 meq/L of alkalinity (5300 dKH)?

Additionally, if I'm using TM part C, which contains 3350 ppm magnesium and 980 ppm potassium, should I match the concentrations of the Calcium and Alkalinity parts to TM’s 20,000 ppm for Calcium and 2800 dKH for Alkalinity, and then double those values?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a "standard" by which one could gauge how much to dose?

Let's say to raise ALK by 0.1 dKH - it would take X mL ; CA by 1 ppm it would take X mL ... etc?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a "standard" by which one could gauge how much to dose?

Let's say to raise ALK by 0.1 dKH - it would take X mL ; CA by 1 ppm it would take X mL ... etc?

Use this calculator and the entry for Randy’s Recipe #1 unless you use a bicarbonate recipe (which is #2).

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley,

Following your sodium hydroxide recipe for boosting pH, I did some calculations based on using sodium hydroxide with a 98.5% purity. My results show about 1837 meq/L or 5144 dKH. Should I increase the grams to reach 1900 meq/L of alkalinity (5300 dKH)?

Additionally, if I'm using TM part C, which contains 3350 ppm magnesium and 980 ppm potassium, should I match the concentrations of the Calcium and Alkalinity parts to TM’s 20,000 ppm for Calcium and 2800 dKH for Alkalinity, and then double those values?

Thanks!

It’s a little complicated with any chemical getting an exact potency since one does not know what that 1.5% is (water needs a correction, but potassium in place of sodium needs hardly any alk correction).

In any case, it’s fine to boost it up by the correction since dosing is ultimately by trial and error anyway.

I’d use the Balling Part C at twice the usual Balling dose based on calcium dosed since this recipe is about 2x normal Balling Potency.

VLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back, @Randy Holmes-Farley

I have two more questions:

1. Given that Part C of the Balling method is used to offset the sodium chloride left from adding Part A and B, and not to supplement magnesium, how can we calculate the amount of magnesium consumed by the coral/coralline algae based on calcium consumption?
  2. Can I add trace elements (Trace A-) to Part B with sodium hydroxide?

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use this calculator and the entry for Randy’s Recipe #1 unless you use a bicarbonate recipe (which is #2).

At the risk of sounding completely noob:

To find a general potency of the recipes, I presume that I would use: ALK -> Current dKH at 7.99 ; Desired dKH at 8.00. and that would net what I am looking for, is that correct? I hate sounding so ridiculous but after nuking my tank a few short months ago, I'm really trying to make sure to double and triple check before making any adjustments.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back, @Randy Holmes-Farley

I have two more questions:

1. Given that Part C of the Balling method is used to offset the sodium chloride left from adding Part A and B, and not to supplement magnesium, how can we calculate the amount of magnesium consumed by the coral/coralline algae based on calcium consumption?
  2. Can I add trace elements (Trace A-) to Part B with sodium hydroxide?

Use 1/3 of my recommended magnesium amount to offset consumption.

I think folks have been ok adding A- to the hydroxide, but if you see a precipitate, then don’t do it.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the risk of sounding completely noob:

To find a general potency of the recipes, I presume that I would use: ALK -> Current dKH at 7.99 ; Desired dKH at 8.00. and that would net what I am looking for, is that correct? I hate sounding so ridiculous but after nuking my tank a few short months ago, I'm really trying to make sure to double and triple check before making any adjustments.

You mean to determine how much to dose to start? If the alk is 7.99 and you want 8 dKH, dose nothing. Wait until alk drop to 7.5 dKH then use the calculator to figure the dose to add 0.5 dKH. Then wait again, etc.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 1/3 of my recommended magnesium amount to offset consumption.

Quick question.

1 gallon solution of 283g NaOH contains 5,300dKH

Add 283 grams of sodium hydroxide to 1 gallon of fresh water. It will get quite warm. Make sure it doesn't soften your container. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH).

Even coralline uses them in a ratio of about 2.8 dKH of alk, 18-19 ppm calcium, and 1-2 ppm magnesium.

Using the low end (.5ppm magnesium for every 2.8dKH because I do water changes and also dose balling part C)

Does it make sense to add 946ppm magnesium every time I finish a gallon of the sodium hydroxide solution?

Maybe I can add the 946ppm in the gallon of balling part C. I just don’t know if .5ppm for every 2.8dKH makes sense for my tank. What would you do? I like dosing it in this way (dosing magnesium to in relation of the alk stock solution).

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question.

1 gallon solution of 283g NaOH contains 5,300dKH

Using the low end (.5ppm magnesium for every 2.8dKH because I do water changes and also dose balling part C)

Does it make sense to add 946ppm magnesium every time I finish a gallon of the sodium hydroxide solution?

Maybe I can add the 946ppm in the gallon of balling part C. I just don’t know if .5ppm for every 2.8dKH makes sense for my tank. What would you do? I like dosing it in this way (dosing magnesium to in relation of the alk stock solution).

946 ppm?

The full recipe calls for 610 mL, so 1/3 of that (my recommendation when using Balling Part C)) is about 200 mL after each gallon, or spread out through the time of dosing that gallon.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full recipe calls for 610 mL, so 1/3 of that (my recommendation when using Balling Part C)) is about 200 mL after each gallon, or spread out through the time of dosing that gallon.
Sorry. I am pretty bad at math.

Can you explain where the full recipe is found?

Where does it say 610mL?

I always assumed the part 1 (alk), part 2 (ca), and part 3 (mg) each had a solution of a gallon. Where you add equal parts of a gallon. I assumed a gallon of alk solution used will require 1/3 a gallon of mg.

3. Using both Epsom salts and MAG flake, dissolve 7¼ cups MAG flake and ¾ cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is preferred, but its advantage over recipe #2 is minimal in most cases.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I am pretty bad at math.

Can you explain where the full recipe is found?

Where does it say 610mL?

I always assumed the part 1 (alk), part 2 (ca), and part 3 (mg) each had a solution of a gallon. Where you add equal parts of a gallon. I assumed a gallon of alk solution used will require 1/3 a gallon of mg.

3. Using both Epsom salts and MAG flake, dissolve 7¼ cups MAG flake and ¾ cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is preferred, but its advantage over recipe #2 is minimal in most cases.

From it:

Recipe #1, Part 3A

Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate sold by the Dead Sea Works company (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.

This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.

The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium, 70,000 ppm sulfate and 86,000 ppm chloride.

Then this part bears on using Balling Part C:

Residual Ions from the Calcium and Alkalinity Parts

Adding 1 gallon of each of these additives will result in a residue of ions remaining after calcification. These are mostly sodium and chloride, and the amounts of those two added are equal in numbers (i.e., moles), but slightly different in weight-based concentrations such as ppm because they do not weigh the same.

After adding 594 grams of baking soda (1 gallon of Recipe #1), we will have added 163 grams of sodium. In natural seawater, magnesium is present at about 12.0% of the sodium concentration (by weight). In order to match the magnesium additions to the sodium additions to leave them in a natural ratio, we need to add 12% of 163 grams, or 19.5 grams, of magnesium for every gallon of the two-part additive that we add.

Additionally, we may want to account for magnesium that is actually incorporated into the coral skeletons. For this calculation, I have assumed that the amount of magnesium incorporated is about 6.5% of the calcium level (by weight), or about 2.5% of the skeleton by weight. In the course of adding this gallon of both parts of the two part supplement, we added 141 grams of calcium, so we need to add 0.065 x 141 = 9 grams of magnesium to account for this deposition.

The magnesium parts of the recipe are designed to add enough magnesium so that it is not depleted by either of the two means described above. Because the magnesium supplement (either version) is 47,000 mg/L in magnesium, we need to add (9 +19.5) grams/47 g/L = 610 ml of the magnesium solution for each gallon of the other parts of Recipe #1.

Balling Part C takes care of that 19.5 grams related to the sodium chloride buildup, but not the 9 g related to the consumption of magnesium. Thus when using Bling Oart C, you still need about 2/4 of the magnesium in the recipe (the 9 g) and not the full 28.5 g. Thus, use about 200 mL per gallon of alk or calcium used, not the full 610 mL.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From it:

Recipe #1, Part 3A

Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate sold by the Dead Sea Works company (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.

This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.

The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium, 70,000 ppm sulfate and 86,000 ppm chloride.

Then this part bears on using Balling Part C:

Residual Ions from the Calcium and Alkalinity Parts

Adding 1 gallon of each of these additives will result in a residue of ions remaining after calcification. These are mostly sodium and chloride, and the amounts of those two added are equal in numbers (i.e., moles), but slightly different in weight-based concentrations such as ppm because they do not weigh the same.

After adding 594 grams of baking soda (1 gallon of Recipe #1), we will have added 163 grams of sodium. In natural seawater, magnesium is present at about 12.0% of the sodium concentration (by weight). In order to match the magnesium additions to the sodium additions to leave them in a natural ratio, we need to add 12% of 163 grams, or 19.5 grams, of magnesium for every gallon of the two-part additive that we add.

Additionally, we may want to account for magnesium that is actually incorporated into the coral skeletons. For this calculation, I have assumed that the amount of magnesium incorporated is about 6.5% of the calcium level (by weight), or about 2.5% of the skeleton by weight. In the course of adding this gallon of both parts of the two part supplement, we added 141 grams of calcium, so we need to add 0.065 x 141 = 9 grams of magnesium to account for this deposition.

The magnesium parts of the recipe are designed to add enough magnesium so that it is not depleted by either of the two means described above. Because the magnesium supplement (either version) is 47,000 mg/L in magnesium, we need to add (9 +19.5) grams/47 g/L = 610 ml of the magnesium solution for each gallon of the other parts of Recipe #1.

Balling Part C takes care of that 19.5 grams related to the sodium chloride buildup, but not the 9 g related to the consumption of magnesium. Thus when using Bling Oart C, you still need about 2/4 of the magnesium in the recipe (the 9 g) and not the full 28.5 g. Thus, use about 200 mL per gallon of alk or calcium used, not the full 610 mL.
Thank you SO much! This was extremely helpful. Bookmarked.

VLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation, Randy!

Balling Part C states it has ~3350 mg/L of magnesium. That’s about 12.6 grams of magnesium added per gallon, which is about 8% and not the expected 12%. Do I need to add the missing 4%?

Thanks

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation, Randy!

Balling Part C states it has ~3350 mg/L of magnesium. That’s about 12.6 grams of magnesium added per gallon, which is about 8% and not the expected 12%. Do I need to add the missing 4%?

Thanks

I’m getting lost in the math above, and can’t work through it all right now.

How much Balling Part C did you assume is dosed per gallon of my recipe?

VLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting lost in the math above, and can’t work through it all right now.

How much Balling Part C did you assume is dosed per gallon of my recipe?
I'm kinda lost too:grinning-face-with-sweat:. Let's redo the math.
Since your recommendation is doubling Balling Part C, then:
  • 594 grams of baking soda = 163 grams of sodium = 19.5 grams of magnesium needed to offset sodium chloride buildup (12% of 163 grams).
  • Balling Part C has 3350 mg/L of magnesium. So that’s 3350 x 3.78 x 2 (2 gallons added for every 1 gallon of Recipe #1) = 25.3 grams of magnesium. That would be 15.5% of 163 grams, which exceeds the 12%.
To calculate the additional magnesium needed for coral consumption, we actually need to subtract the excess from Balling Part C (25.3 - 19.5) / 47 g/L = 123 ml of Part C from your recipe needs to be added on top of Balling Part C.

Correct me if I’m wrong,
Thanks!

Back