Randy's ALK recipe with higher PH Boost...how to calculate dosage when using balling?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i am using at the moment a Zoanthus Balling (is a brand name balling made by tropic marin). Is a 3 part + oligos. (calcium, alk and nacl free salt).

I am using it on a carbonate basis (switch bicarbonate with baked bicarbonate).

Winter is coming windows will be closed more PH will drop. top 7.9/8.1.

I would like to dose randy's high ph boost recipe:
Add 283 grams of sodium hydroxide to 1 gallon of fresh water. It will get quite warm. Make sure it doesn't soften your container. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). .

I am trying to understand how to dose it. At the moment i dose daily 1dkh with sodium carbonate.

For what i've understood solution has ALK rising power equivalent to original recipe 1 (with sodium carbonate).
So, is it correct that with this recipe i should use same dosage to raise 1dkh in 100lt? (18.8ml)

Also, balling recipe has lower concentration (i think) since my recipe has 53gr of carbonate in 1l of rodi (so 196gr for a gallon of rodi compared to the 374gr of carbo in 1G in randy's recipe). Therefore i dose 36ml to rise 1dkh in 100lt.

Can i diluite de recipe 2 times to makes it same as balling carbonate? (so 141g of sodium hydroxide in a gallon of rodi?)

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Balling is half as potent as the recipe you will switch to, so I'd use half the volume as a starting point.

Dosage is the same as your recipe 1 correct?

Also, can i make the solution with only 141gr. in 1 gallon? or better to use full dose (283gr) and reduce the amount of dosed liquid?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back