Ready to Give up - Dosing problems

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg throw away the RedSea Mag test. Get a Salifert Test kit big difference. More Accurate, easier to read and you add a scoop of powder on "Reagant 2" instead of swirling your time away. Trust me.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start your doser at the minimum amount possible and "Manual" dose on top of that 1 ml at a time and Document how much you've added and how much has increased each day. For parameter that are too high leave it alone. Get the Alk stable but dont try to shoot for 11. Your tank actually has a mind of its own lol trying to jump from 6-11dkh will crash your tank big time. I think 8-9 is where it should be.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME waterchanges are important but not after you made adjustments to your doser. You wont be able to monitor your fluctuations.

kpiotrowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropped from 9 to 7.26 overnight. I just tested alk and it was 130ppm

So what do I win for having the tank that won't hold alkalinity? Nothing but more headaches. I am going to test Magnesium and Calcium in a few minutes. Fun Fun Fun

as was said already the high calcium is prob binding the alk.

I don't recall what salt mix you are using?

to drop those high values faster do water changes with regular IO, then when back on track use reef crystals or the like.

any idea yet of how it got so overdosed?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do I win for having the tank that won't hold alkalinity? Nothing but more headaches. I am going to test Magnesium and Calcium in a few minutes. Fun Fun Fun
If I went through ALL that you are going through, I would have threw out the entire thing a log time ago and collected stamps. :noidea:

This is a hobby and supposed to be fun.
But, I offered my opinion. At least try to start having fun. Eventually you will not have to do all of this. :becky:

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree...but how? More water changes? I have already changed 45G out of the 65G over the last 5 days.

Your water changes should be dropping those params if your salt mix is mixing to the proper levels that red sea pro mixes too. You said you have changed out 45 gal of a 65 gal tank, unless you did it all at once you didn't actually switch out 45 gal of "bad" water and put in "good", This would equtate to about 20 gal maybe of "bad" water. There are 2 things I would do next, 1) Get 1 large container that is about 30 gal and do 3 large water changes that should help. or 2) Just stop doing anything, no more water changes, no more dosing of cal or mag if you are, and just keep your Alk stable. This may take over a month to do, but eventually those numbers should begin to fall inline if you have corals in your tank that will consume those chemicals. Me personally would go with option 1.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested the alk and it is 225 ppm (12)

I was wondering what the calcium and magnesium were in the freshly made salt water. If for some reason the calcium was too high it would explain why your calcium is so high after such large water changes. Again, I don't expect it to be overly high but that would at least rule out a problem with your salt mix.

kpiotrowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday morning you said your alk was 7.26, and now its 12????

did you dose? if you didn't dose you got bad test kits or not doing it right.

if you did dose then you need to get back and understand about taking things slow in this hobby!

OP
OP
Bernardhny

Bernardhny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I said the water I am putting in at water change tests at 12. The tank itself is not at 12

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture of your tank. Unless your tank is chock full of SPS and Clams I dont see why your dosing. Your tank Volume should be good with a 10 gallon water change weekly. How long are you letting your water mix before you put it in the tank?

OP
OP
Bernardhny

Bernardhny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35g storage tanks for both RODI water and a second tank where I make saltwater. I usually let the saltwater tank get down to about half full before replenishing with RODI and mixing to the correct salinity. However since this problem started I have been mixing fresh 5g buckets and letting them sit 4-8 hours before use but in an emergency I have used the water an hour after mixing. I do have power heads circulating all salt and RODI water 24/7 and I do heat the salt water storage tank as well.

I did start dosing manually the alk last night. 1 dkh per day is my goal while watching the calcium and mag for changes

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it relates to this problem, but it's much better to mix and use salt the same day. At most, use it within two or three days.

Then refill with RODI from empty.

FWIW, I mix for about 5 minutes and use as soon as the water is clear.

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bernardhny

Bernardhny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree

That is one of the things I learned from Red Sea when I called them about this. They have told me that I should not store the salt (different from Salinity who says I can store the water indefinitely before use). So I will be power washing my second 35G storage tank this weekend and making it a second RODI water storage tank. I figure I can make an emergency batch of 35G of water in this second tank and not limit my fresh RODI water supply. I might consider switching back to a different salt mix as well. Not sure which one I would switch to if I do, I have to do some more research.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't disagreeing with each other...just a context between "can" and "should". :)

And I agree it's 100% better to have a dedicated RODI vat...never used for mixing.

-Matt

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but it's much better to mix and use salt the same day. At most, use it within two or three days.

So the stuff I mixed up 5 months ago is no good? Dam :sick:

ecajoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had similar problems except I had low mag was paying to much attention to my dosing pump settings also found mixing large alk and calcium batches to be bad found funky stuff growing in calcium container

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the stuff I mixed up 5 months ago is no good? Dam :sick:

You know that's not what I said. You even quoted me! ;)

Better != "only way"

There are vitamins and other things in most popular mixes that will break down within days of hydration. It does not "ruin" the water. Just a "small" waste of money and lost potential benefit.

If you're going to do it this way (long term storage of mixed water) you may as well use one if the ultra-plain salts like AquaCraft or Crystal Sea that don't add these things in the first place (and should be much less expensive). Instant Ocean would be a bit of a waste in this scenario.

-Matt

P.S. I kinda thought you used NSW anyway. Is the pre-mixed just for emergencies?

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back