Ready to quit the hobby; SPS or bust

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re at a crossroads in this hobby. More like, we’ve spent probably $25,000 on equipment and livestock in a 200g system and have very little to show for it. What we want is a tank filled with coral and life, but what we’ve done instead is lit 1,000’s of dollars on fire. It’s been 2-3 years now and while we can keep fish alive, coral survival is completely random. Most softies and LPS do ok, but that’s not bankable. However, basically not a single SPS or acropora has made it and that’s all we really want from our tank. Plating shelf corals, branching acropora, etc. that’s our goal.

It’s to the point we’re almost ready to be done with the hobby. Our tank could not possibly be more stable. Temperature, light, pH, alk, Ca, Mg; everything has been so consistent with Apex and Trident. But we spend $1,000 on SPS frags at a time, they survive anywhere from days to months, and then they all die eventually. At one point we had a really successful birdsnest in our QT; it grew like crazy, but the power went out for 12 hours and it all died, down to the very last frag and ever since all birdsnest corals die within a month. It’s beyond frustrating. We got MEN in QT that wiped out all monti’s; no matter how much we dipped and scrubbed the corals, it didn’t matter. The MEN survived and the corals died.

I feel like it doesn’t matter what we post here about our parameters. Someone will say “oh just do this or that,” or the root of everything is x, y, or z. I think this thread is a great example; before folks realized who @Roberto Denadai is and what he can do with corals folks kept chiming in with what he’s doing wrong and why it’ll never work despite his incredible success.

But fine, we’re at our wits end and have nothing to lose except more 1,000’s of dollars. We have a Red Sea XXL 750, it’s naturally a ULNS with nitrate running around 0.33 and low phosphate. We’ve been keeping Alk 7.65-7.7, Ca 430, pH 8.11-8.25, temp 77-78. ICP test is within normal limits all-around. We’re using AI Hydra lighting with a range of PAR’s but 150-300’s around our frag racks. Of note, our last batch of SPS corals survived 1-3 months before dying. We do battle cyano blooms at times; we’ve used chemiclean but mostly it just kind of waxes and wanes over time. Zero hair algae except in the sump.

So, where do we go from here? Will it take another $10,000, or another 3 years before our first acropora survives? Or, should we cut our loses, re-home our fish, and just be done with this whole thing?

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That choice is yours if you are going to throw in the towel. I have been there myself. Just had a kessil light that shorted out on the controller plug and did some damage to some corals. My question would be why buy 1000s of dollars in sps frags? Just buy a couple get them going and slowly add. And someone is going to say your alk is too low which it might be. I moved on from sps because of the high mortality. Just going to softies and lps

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure where you’re sourcing your corals but if you buy some classics like Ora or other old skool aqua cultured pieces I think you’d have a much easier time.. try torts or a Bali green slimer etc… the only thing I can see from your post is a ulns might be starving them so they’re dying on you.. get your nitrates up around 10 and keep your po4 low.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It always seem strange to me that people spend so much time writing about their problem (with the tank) and not provided a single picture? Is that common sense? Just the look of the tank may alert some more experienced reefers: does it have enough flow? does not it have enough light? does it show coraline algae growth? does it NOT have GHA, does it have/not have sand etc...

Generally - that's how it is with SPS, you turn lots of corals into white sticks initially.. It's best to start with simple SPS, such as plating montipora and build from there (i give away "simple" sps corals to fellow reefers for free).. There is a feeling that as tank gets some basic corals growing (over many months) - the "right" stability/bacterial mix forms which then allows for introduction of more demanding corals. But this path may take anywhere from 1 year to 4-5 years to achieve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That choice is yours if you are going to throw in the towel. I have been there myself. Just had a kessil light that shorted out on the controller plug and did some damage to some corals. My question would be why buy 1000s of dollars in sps frags? Just buy a couple get them going and slowly add. And someone is going to say your alk is too low which it might be. I moved on from sps because of the high mortality. Just going to softies and lps
Yes, the choice is ours and that’s what we’re battling with. SPS frags aren’t cheap plus box/shipping fees. So we’ve bought them in batches over time, and while some die right away and some last 1-3 months, eventually they're all skeletons in the end. I’ve run higher Alk without different results, but ultimately I’ve found the recommendation for low Alk with ULNS so that’s what I’ve been doing…. Is that an error?

I’m not sure where you’re sourcing your corals but if you buy some classics like Ora or other old skool aqua cultured pieces I think you’d have a much easier time.. try torts or a Bali green slimer etc… the only thing I can see from your post is a ulns might be starving them so they’re dying on you.. get your nitrates up around 10 and keep your po4 low.
I’ve gravitated towards @Tidal Gardens as I trust their process and respect their dedication to coral. I haven’t been able to get nutrients higher despite increasing feedings, that’s just how it his tank runs so I’ve embraced ULNS.
It always seem strange to me that people spend so much time writing about their problem (with the tank) and not provided a single picture? Is that common sense?
Fair enough but what do you want to see? I’ve got Zoa’s doing concerningly well, a nice blasto colony, lots of rock and sand. FYI I’m snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns Australia at the moment having an existential crisis on what to do with my tank back home. But I found this guy today if you like:

Attachments

• IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 85

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with the basics here.. what all equipment do you have on your tank? What filtration? I’m guessing a roller mat and skimmer if you can’t keep nitrates up… are you carbon dosing or just got poor flow? What’s causing the cyano?

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share some pictures of your set up and most recent ICP please
What salt are you using?
What are you dosing for stability?
What fish do you keep?
Have you TDS checked your RODI?
Do you make your own salt water?
The Cyano blooms suggests to me you may not have enough flow

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My tank really improved when I started carbon dosing while also keeping nitrates around 20 and phos around .2. Everyone seems to be happier. You may have other ultra low issues if your nitrate and phos are that low. May be carbon deficient. Also are you 2 years in with dry rock and sand? You may just be getting to the point where the microbiome is actually stable and established.

Definitely need pics. Do you a lot of coraline algae? None? A little?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend some beginner sps, red planet, Miyagi tort, garf bonsai. Reach out to @Battlecorals to see about getting a beginner pack. You could buy some media from Top Shelf Aquatic from their acro tanks to add some healthy media to your tank. Then start feeding more. I have a tank that’s 10 months old growing corralline and acros. I have way more light for my tank which is equivalent to yours and a ton of flow, 2 x gyre xf350 and 2 x Octopulse 4. Would also like to see a picture of your tank.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another consideration to look at is how much time you have for reefing. Money alone will not guarantee success. But if you have the time and willingness to figure it out, I suggest taking a step back and going through things one at a time. Also, mixed reefs are the toughest to have, it is hard to please all the coral at once. So a separate tank just for sps may be an option as well. I wish you luck in whatever you choose. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I found my best stability when I simplify my tank and stop touching and tweaking everything. I only test once a month maybe and only dose all for reef. My SPS is growing great. Montipora and digitata are corals EVERYONE can grow. Just toss them in with plenty of light and they will do great.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Relatively cheap frags with free shipping, these frags anywhere else will be 3-4x the cost. I would not spend any money at a high dollar online dealer until you get this figured out. $10 birdsnests and montis. Look throug craigslist, facebook, anything you can to find local people around you. Post a want to buy in the livestock here and see if anyone near you has stuff. Filter the livestock for sale forum by state to see what's around. Search for the local hobbyist forum, every state has many. Triangle Reef Club, Reef Aquarium Society of Charlotte. Who cares if you have to drive 3 hours, you can save $1,000. This hobby doesn't need to be expensive dropping $400 on 10 frags because some dealer told you theirs are the best.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this. I can definitely understand your frustration. I think we’ve all been through it at sometime. I sent you a PM.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend some beginner sps, red planet, Miyagi tort, garf bonsai. Reach out to @Battlecorals to see about getting a beginner pack. You could buy some media from Top Shelf Aquatic from their acro tanks to add some healthy media to your tank. Then start feeding more. I have a tank that’s 10 months old growing corralline and acros. I have way more light for my tank which is equivalent to yours and a ton of flow, 2 x gyre xf350 and 2 x Octopulse 4. Would also like to see a picture of your tank.
second the bargain box. I got one in November and can't be happier with what I got. they're basic coral but that just means I'm out $20 not $200 if the poci dies (which it did, my bad).

edit: wait till he has a sale though, He'll throw out bigger discounts on top.

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been though similar issues in the past with trouble keeping sps alive. The big similarity in our situation is ULNS.

I eventually got past it, but it did take time. I will say starting with dry rock really makes it much more difficult (you haven’t said, but I would guess you started with mostly dry rock).

-your alk is fine in the 7s. I wouldn’t change that.

I would do a couple things.
-I would send off an icp to see if anything major jumps out.
-I would add more fish and start feeding more. If you grow more algae, just manually remove it. No extra chemicals. Get nitrates 5-10 and phos .05 -.1
-keep your hands out of the tank and let it run. Do a 10% WC a week

Now we have the luxury of many tank tour videos on YouTube. Watch lots of them..One common theme is stability and almost NONE of them are ultra low nutrients.

BigReefer84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show some pics please... what lighting do you have? alk is a little low but i have kept sps in lower alk before just slows growth... can we see your lighting and what's the flow like? just trying to help

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures can help us figure out what is going on with your tank. I second what others are saying by starting with cheaper frags then moving on from there. Best of luck to you!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's tough feeling like you're burning money for little to no reward. The first couple years of keeping a reef can be pretty soul crushing sometimes.

My biggest suggestion is this. On this site find a build thread you love and reach out to them. I've found that one thing reef tank people love to do... is talk about their reef tank. Nothing beats getting advice for the type of tank you want from someone successfully keeping that sort of tank. I like keeping higher nutrient corals and "messier" tanks with easier but not plague corals because I find all the little things you grow in that mess interesting and the frustrations youre describing are less frequent. There are quite a few ULN massive sps builds you could reach out to (though ULN seems to be falling out of favor for higher nutrient systems in the last few years).

Good luck and stick with it!

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was my tank, then I would go SPS-less for 1-2 months, and that should starve out any acro or monti eating pests. In that time, I would run the tank at 5-10ppm Nitrate and 0.03-0.10 phosphates, and send out a water sample to aquabiomics to see if there is any pathogens. I would dose some bacteria to get your system stable (especially if you have been using antibiotics in your system). Biodigest, PNS Probio, etc. If it all checks out, after SPS fallow period, I would get a cheap green slimer and digitata frag and test those out for a few months. They are super hardy and affordable, so those will be your tester frags. Do not buy thousands of dollars of SPS until your tester frags are thriving. If the aquabiomics doesn't check out, and show some pathogens, then that's another subject. You will likely have to chemical treat the tank to kill off those pathogens, but will cross that bridge when you get there.

A picture will definitely help. We can see the equipment used and how it is set up. Also check if there is coralline and other signs of a thriving reef or issues to fix.

Good luck! Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this helps a little bit to see what others will do in your situation. And all SPS needs to be dipped and inspected before going into the tank. What kind of dip are you using? And do you run UV or ozone? If you do, how often you run it? I would not run UV or ozone for too long.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I found my best stability when I simplify my tank and stop touching and tweaking everything. I only test once a month maybe and only dose all for reef. My SPS is growing great. Montipora and digitata are corals EVERYONE can grow. Just toss them in with plenty of light and they will do great.
+1 on this. In the past, I’ve gone to extremes trying to solve “problems” in my tank, but oftentimes things would thrive the most when I was more hands-off with things, only maintaining a good dosing schedule. Stability is key, and there is no fast way of achieving it.

I recommend instead of putting more money into it, take it slow. An SPS dominant tank might be the goal, but be happy with the tank you have, not the one you want. Keep your current corals healthy. And, over time, slowly introduce birdsnest, then montipora, and progressively test different species. Each coral has its own requirements, and you may find there are certain corals you can keep easily and others that you cannot keep. For me, I initially could not keep any mushroom corals at all, but after time and patience, I got my tank into a state that allows them to grow. I used to easily grow euphyllia, and now I struggle to keep them happy. Reef keeping is a delicate balance, one that can shift back and forth. What doesn’t work today might eventually thrive tomorrow.

I’d recommend you start with some easy and forgiving SPS. Leptoseris and psammocora both, in my experience, can handle swings in parameters or sudden wipeouts pretty well, and grow rather quickly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back