Red Flatworms

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have quite the flatworm infestation in my tank….the little brownish red ones with the 2 “horns” on one end. 90 gal mixed reef, about 3.5 yrs old. I am reluctant to try any of the chemical options, so have stuck to biological methods. 1st: added 2 Spingeri Damsels……nothing. 2nd: a few months later added a Yellow Coris Wrasse……nothing. Thinking of either adding a 6 line or a blue velvet nudi as a last resort.
Thoughts?????

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have quite the flatworm infestation in my tank….the little brownish red ones with the 2 “horns” on one end. 90 gal mixed reef, about 3.5 yrs old. I am reluctant to try any of the chemical options, so have stuck to biological methods. 1st: added 2 Spingeri Damsels……nothing. 2nd: a few months later added a Yellow Coris Wrasse……nothing. Thinking of either adding a 6 line or a blue velvet nudi as a last resort.
Thoughts?????

I had the same rust flatworm issue. I forget what used to eat them, maybe it was the blenny. Regardless, I had the best results using a long straw attached to airline tubing and created a syphon as a closed loop from the display tank into a filter sock located in the sump. In 30 minutes of sucking out flatworms I could remove hundreds. then I just kept doing that for about two weeks, wiping out the adults and letting the fish/cuc continue to eat whatever they were eating. After that I broke the tank down and started over. Kidding, kidding. Manual removal matters!

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are on EVERYTHING…except nems of course. Leathers, SPS, LPS, Zoas. I have a big Sinularia that is polka dotted with them. Even the “tentacles” of my Euphyllias are polka dotted.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are on EVERYTHING…except nems of course. Leathers, SPS, LPS, Zoas. I have a big Sinularia that is polka dotted with them. Even the “tentacles” of my Euphyllias are polka dotted.

Even if you decide to use a chemical means of elimination (Flatworm Exit) you must reduce the # of flatworms prior to treatment or the dead worms will release toxins causing more harm than they are currently. Get to work.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal, (which should include turkey basting them off and the fish might go around and eat them) and also a Springeri damsel, or a Mel should eat them, this sounds like Red planeria that you have btw. and according to Reefbuilders a Melanarus wrasse are some of the best flatworm controllers

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I already have a yellow coris wrasse and 2 springeri damsels. They do nothing. I don’t want to use chemicals, but am also hesitant to add another supposed predator. The idea of manual removal seems like a GIGANTIC pain the butt too.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, you will have to remove them, dead or alive. You can get a Mel if your tank is big enough and it should eat them, otherwise if you turkey bast them the springeri might pick them out of the water

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I already have a yellow coris wrasse and 2 springeri damsels. They do nothing. I don’t want to use chemicals, but am also hesitant to add another supposed predator. The idea of manual removal seems like a GIGANTIC pain the butt too.

What I'm hearing is "I want results with no effort". Solutions have been provided. Good luck to you. Mods can close.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! That was a bit uncalled for. The solution that has been suggested is manual removal, which sounds nuts to me. It would be doable if not infested to the degree it is. I’ve been in this hobby for 20+ yrs…and we’ll aware of the level of effort required DB. Just had additional questions. After all…thought that is what this forum was for.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t trying to use livestock to control, manual removal is required, and no, I haven’t used a blue velvet, but I have heard that they give good results. How big is your tank?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you are aware of your options and will just have to make a decision. If you are going the chemical route, then you have to manually remove as much as possible first or risk nuking your tank. Maybe then your best option is to continue to try different predators and deal with the hassle of rehoming them and risk they might not work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back