Red Sea ammonia and BA quick cycle

A3quatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently about to cycle my 25 lagoon. Have dry rock and ocean direct sand. I’ve read to give the tank 24 hours before adding any ammonia because the bac in the sand might provide some and would spike the ammonia over the 2 ppm. I used a Red Sea ammonia test kit and it reads the yellow 0. My curiosity lead me to take the 5 ml tank water and add 2 drops of the brightwell quick cycle ammonium chloride and test it. It’s completely clear. No color. Is this normal? PH is 8.2

I watched the BRS Biome series and wanted to replicate it to see if I’m successful at reducing algae at the beginning stage. I know they cycled with 2 clowns but thought that a fishless cycle would be better. Am I wrong here?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m currently about to cycle my 25 lagoon. Have dry rock and ocean direct sand. I’ve read to give the tank 24 hours before adding any ammonia because the bac in the sand might provide some and would spike the ammonia over the 2 ppm. I used a Red Sea ammonia test kit and it reads the yellow 0. My curiosity lead me to take the 5 ml tank water and add 2 drops of the brightwell quick cycle ammonium chloride and test it. It’s completely clear. No color. Is this normal? PH is 8.2

I watched the BRS Biome series and wanted to replicate it to see if I’m successful at reducing algae at the beginning stage. I know they cycled with 2 clowns but thought that a fishless cycle would be better. Am I wrong here?
No - it suggests that either your test is wrong, the concentration of ammonia in your 'ammonia' is wrong. I guess you could test a higher dose of ammonia (than 2 drops). Make sure none of the items are expired.

OP
OP
A3quatics

A3quatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - it suggests that either your test is wrong, the concentration of ammonia in your 'ammonia' is wrong. I guess you could test a higher dose of ammonia (than 2 drops). Make sure none of the items are expired.
The Red Sea kit expires 2025. What I found odd tho was that the sample with just tank water was yellow but the sample with tank water and the ammonia drops was crystal clear.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea kit expires 2025. What I found odd tho was that the sample with just tank water was yellow but the sample with tank water and the ammonia drops was crystal clear.
That suggests a problem, but the ammonia dosed was also very, very high, and that might not be the best test.

I'd try tank water plus enough ammonia to give a few ppm ammonia in the solution, and then test that.

Does the Brightwell product smell at all of ammonia? It may be made incorrectly.

OP
OP
A3quatics

A3quatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That suggests a problem, but the ammonia dosed was also very, very high, and that might not be the best test.

I'd try tank water plus enough ammonia to give a few ppm ammonia in the solution, and then test that. .
Never thought of that. I figured that dilution of ammonia would have shown a dark green color. Thanks Randy and Mnfish1

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back