Red Sea NoPox users

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the water change and some ppl said not to do too much as it would cycle my tank all over again by removing the good stuff. Even after changing it there was no difference in the nitrates level although the reason for my water change so close together is that one of the news got sucked up in the powerhead. So rather than have it toxify the tank I did a water change.

Water changes never cause cycling. Those people mistakenly thing the bacteria of the nitrogen cycle are in the water, but the are attached to surfaces like rock and sand.

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 3rd week using NoPox no noticeable reduction in Nitrates:( I'm sure the anemone getting sucked up by the powerhead didn't help.

ReefAddict34g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same thing, clouds the water sometimes, I dose 5ml every day in a 50 total water volume tank. Corals do look way better though!

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same thing, clouds the water sometimes, I dose 5ml every day in a 50 total water volume tank. Corals do look way better though!

Right? mine gets cloudy minutes after I add it then clears up after an hour.

ReefAddict34g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also get a whitish buildup on the glass sometimes too, not sure if this is from the Chemicals or oyster feast I feed

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your total daily dose at now? And water volume again?

The tank is 151g and I have a 70g sump so I would say 150g total volume with rocks taken into account. Daily dosage of 15ml, going to increase it to recommended dosage of 20ml starting tomorrow.

ReefAddict34g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like a whiteish film, not algae, no clue what it really is. I dose 5ml per day 34g solana 20 gallon sump. 54 total gallons

reefboxerguy317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a similar situation with nitrates hovering around 64 in my reef tank. Needless to say corals weren't doing well and had nasty cyano on my sand and covering some rocks. What I did was two 50% water changes a couple of days apart, and then started nopox dosing at 3ml per 25 gallons (I have about 100 gallons). It's been about three months since then and nitrates have stayed less than 5 and all the cyano is gone and has not returned, and corals that hadn't grown in months have exploded.

IMO I'd recommend a couple of big water changes to knock the nitrates down and then see how dosing goes. Worked for me. Good luck.

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a similar situation with nitrates hovering around 64 in my reef tank. Needless to say corals weren't doing well and had nasty cyano on my sand and covering some rocks. What I did was two 50% water changes a couple of days apart, and then started nopox dosing at 3ml per 25 gallons (I have about 100 gallons). It's been about three months since then and nitrates have stayed less than 5 and all the cyano is gone and has not returned, and corals that hadn't grown in months have exploded.

IMO I'd recommend a couple of big water changes to knock the nitrates down and then see how dosing goes. Worked for me. Good luck.

I must have replaced 100% or more of the water since I started 3 weeks ago and you would think that much water change would have helped lower it but no. And having a nem get sucked up didn't really help the situation:( Good news is I don't have cyano problem during all this. So you you say 3 months, I guess I have a couple more months to go:)

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 151g and I have a 70g sump so I would say 150g total volume with rocks taken into account. Daily dosage of 15ml, going to increase it to recommended dosage of 20ml starting tomorrow.

I think you might get another bloom with that kind of increase. I would jump to 18 for ~5 days, then 21 for 5, then re-test.

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4th week with NoPox started and no change on the horizon:( but must stay positive:)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back