Red Sea Peninsula G2+ S950 250 Gallon System

dzuckerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Jumping back into the hobby after an 8 year hiatus.
Decided to create a mixed reef with a peninsula tank that will divide my living room and kitchen areas.
Wanted to go big, so decided to go with the Red Sea G2+ S950 Peninsula.
Tank is 200 gallons and sump is 50 gallons.

Going to go all in with Red Sea. So ordered the following:
Lighting: 4x Reef LED 950s
Return pump: Reefrun DC 900
Filtration: Reefmat 1200
Skimmer: Reefer DC 900
Circulation: Reefwave 45 x 2

Using about 150-200 lbs dry Marco rock that I’ve already aquascaped and glued together. Will use caribsea live sand
Will begin cycle using liquid ammonia and Dr Tim’s One and Only. Will monitor ammonia using the Seneye Reef aquarium monitor. Otherwise using Hanna testers.

The tank arrived last week:
71047527675__9A12DCFC-63F2-4442-9C5E-F9C365BF86A2.jpeg

It was very well packaged / protected

Then built the stand. The stand has an aluminum frame that’s built first, then wrapped with the wood cabinet. It looks sleek but it was not fun the put together. After a lot of screwing…then unscrewing…then screwing again (but this time the correct way) I got the stand together:
IMG_0229.jpeg

IMG_0230.jpeg

Got it leveled and then on to the hard part. Getting the 500 pound tank from the garage to the living room and up onto the stand. Got some fairly cheap suction cups from Home Depot and called a bunch of friends. I have to say they were very doubtful that this would be a successful mission. But we ultimately got it moved!
IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

I was then able to finish to finish building the stand:

IMG_0240.jpeg

And dropped in the Marco rock that I had glued together a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_0241.jpeg

Going on a trip with family so I will take a pause here. But when I return I will start making the salt water. I plan to mix it in two 44 gallon brute trash cans and add it on as I go, on top of the caribsea live sand.

Please let me know what you guys think. I’ve been out of the hobby for a while and things have changed a lot so I have lots to learn!

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Looking tank and you are off to a great start. I currently have the P500 and really really want to upgrade to this model. Will be following your build. Also are you just running 1 Return pump or 2? I saw that RedSea recommends 2 of the 7000 return pumps.

OP
OP
dzuckerm

dzuckerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Looking tank and you are off to a great start. I currently have the P500 and really really want to upgrade to this model. Will be following your build. Also are you just running 1 Return pump or 2? I saw that RedSea recommends 2 of the 7000 return pumps.
Yes I’m going to try the one return pump and see how it goes. Could add a second pump in the future I guess. I also got the newer Red Sea DC skimmer so plan to use the one dual controller to run the return pump and skimmer. If I were to use two return pumps and the DC skimmer I would need a second dual controller.

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had one of these partially setup and I was impressed with the build quality of the tank. Looking forward to seeing yours progress.

OP
OP
dzuckerm

dzuckerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally got the pump hooked up, tank filled and water circulating. I’m very impressed with the quality of the build of this tank and stand. It was quite easy to get everything together and there were no leaks once filling the tank and turning on the pump. Since I’m going full on Red Sea I easily connected the return pump, powerheads, ato device to the Red Sea ReefBeat app without any issue. It was also quite easy to fine tune the sump return valve. The system is incredibly quiet. Just a minor hum from the return pump (which I’m running at 60%). Some pics below. The water is a little milky looking. I’m thinking that’s from the caribsea live sand that I added and will clear up on its own.
Next up: get the temp up to 78 degrees and will then add Dr Tim’s ammonia followed by ‘one and only’ and start cycling!

IMG_0257.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0260.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally got the pump hooked up, tank filled and water circulating. I’m very impressed with the quality of the build of this tank and stand. It was quite easy to get everything together and there were no leaks once filling the tank and turning on the pump. Since I’m going full on Red Sea I easily connected the return pump, powerheads, ato device to the Red Sea ReefBeat app without any issue. It was also quite easy to fine tune the sump return valve. The system is incredibly quiet. Just a minor hum from the return pump (which I’m running at 60%). Some pics below. The water is a little milky looking. I’m thinking that’s from the caribsea live sand that I added and will clear up on its own.
Next up: get the temp up to 78 degrees and will then add Dr Tim’s ammonia followed by ‘one and only’ and start cycling!

IMG_0257.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0260.jpeg
Best of luck with getting the water cycled!

spatel86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just set my red sea peninsula 950s and going to fill this week.

It doesn't look like the skimmer 90 fits next to the reefmat at the front so might have to move to the back where I originally planned a fuge.

Is this where you have put ypurs or dod you leave the baffle out?

OP
OP
dzuckerm

dzuckerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just set my red sea peninsula 950s and going to fill this week.

It doesn't look like the skimmer 90 fits next to the reefmat at the front so might have to move to the back where I originally planned a fuge.

Is this where you have put ypurs or dod you leave the baffle out?
Hi. Here are some pics of my sumps. I am able to fit the reefmat 1200 and skimmer and return pump in the left sump. I did leave the baffle in in front of the skimmer so that compartment could be used as a refugium if needed. But I’m actually going to use the right sump (see pic) as one large fuge. I also got a bigger (20 gallon) ato reservoir which unfortunately has taken up all remaining floor space in my cabinet.
IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0353.jpeg

spatel86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, how are you finding flow? i have just added a third reefwave45 (two vertical either side of the weir and one horizontal on the weir but still finding dead spots in the viewing end third)

OP
OP
dzuckerm

dzuckerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, how are you finding flow? i have just added a third reefwave45 (two vertical either side of the weir and one horizontal on the weir but still finding dead spots in the viewing end third)
I'm so sorry I just saw this post so apologize for the very late reply! I have had two reefwave 45's, one on the left and one on the right, both mounted horizontally about 2/3 of the way up. I do have some some flow spots most on the side that is opposite (farthest) from the weir. I have purchased a 3rd reefwave 45 and thinking to mount it on far side (opposite the weir). My plan is to leave the reefwave mounted horizontally on the weir, and mount the other two vertically on the far side. What do you think?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back