Red stylo turning green

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8009.JPG

what's it mean? It's orange red and I noticed the base has a green patch. Is it good or bad? Multi colored stylo? I don't mind if it turns green, I just want to know if it's a good thing, or a bad thing to have.

It was half the size a month ago- I know it's growing and is puffy as photo shows

I am still a newb when it comes to sps corals

Please and thank you!

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a stylophora. It's a montipora digitata. I believe you have a forest fire digi.

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Told you I was still a newb at SPS lol. ! I was given this piece in a trade and was told it was a stylo

is the other piece behind and next to it also a montipora? they are brown
Could be purple digi.

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was showing you so that you could see the difference in the way the coral looks. Look at the polyps. You might have some higher nutrient content in your water. Another thing to consider is lighting. I have had brown corals color up within a week or two of adding them to my system. When you get into SPS corals, changes tend to happen in ways we don't fully understand. There are people out there in the community that have backgrounds in marine biology, chemistry, or other fields that wrote some pretty interesting articles. You can learn a lot from other people in this hobby. You can also learn a lot from experience and going through the ups and downs in this hobby.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a Stylophora, but you never said it was. It's either a Montipora or Stylocoeniella. Since someone told you "stylo" and I'm unable to tell the difference from the pic, I would assume the latter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back