Reddish spots on my frogspawn

QueenCassidy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My beautiful frogspawn is not happy. Its done really well for the few months I've had it, extending nicely and even looks like one of the heads is getting ready to split. Up until about two weeks ago when it started to look irritated, it had a couple vermitide snails on it, so I took care of those and thought I'd handled the problem. That was probably contributing to the irritation, but now im noticing these tiny reddish brownish spots. I have asked the couple people around me and they don't know. I cant find anything on google so Im hoping you guys know! Ive posted pictures of the spots.
Thank you all in advance!
20211201_124810.jpg
20211201_125016.jpg
20211201_125006.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance I thought they were flatworms. Try sucking one out with a turkey baster or pipette and into a glass to look at it. Could also be a sponge or even algae or something it's hard to tell from the pic.

OP
OP
Q

QueenCassidy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a type of sponge? Maybe a type of worm? I dipped it in coralRX which seems to have helped. The red spots are all gone and there are small holes where they were. Whatever itwas did some damage. I also dipped my torch as a precaution, and am watching the rest of my euphyllias very carefully. Also dosing with restore to help them bounce back.
My parameters were off too, specifically nitrates, I have a hard time keeping those down. Its a 29 gallon tank and I do a 5 gallon water change weekly which is the only way I've found that really helps. The nitrates werent outrageous though (40ppm) and that was the day of the water change. Afterward the nitrates always go back to 0 -5 ppm.
I appreciate the replys! It is pretty awesome to be able to ask a question and get intelligent responses! Thank you! Im going to keep updating this thread, because I still want to know what it was, in case it pops back up.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anything fall out when you dipped? They kind of look like flat worms. If they are, you would want to keep dipping as there could be eggs.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back