Reef Chemistry Puzzle #11

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine this: Your tank lights are currently in their “actinic” or dusk period. You enjoy the aquarium during the mornings at, let’s say, 460nm (blue) because of the coral’s fluorescence.

You calibrate your refractometer with that aquarium light with a standard solution of 35ppt or a refractive index of 1.3394 (seawater salinity). The aquarium reads 35ppt.

Later that afternoon, your power and aquarium light go out. The entire house is pitch black, and the only light you have is an incandescent light, which, for this purpose, shines about 650nm (orange).

You calibrated the refractometer earlier this morning with the blue light. You recheck the aquarium salinity to ensure everything is still OK.

Because of the difference in light from the calibration time from the morning (blue light) to checking it now (orange light), the current salinity reading has:

A) Fallen slightly lower from the morning.

B) Risen slightly higher from the morning.

C) Fallen drastically from the morning.

D) Skyrocketed up from the morning.

E) Not changed at all from the morning.

Bonus: What salinity, in ppt, do you think the aquarium reads during the power outage?

Have fun with this one! :)

Previous Reef Chemistry Puzzle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal was correct

Because of the difference in light from the calibration time from the morning (blue light) to checking it now (orange light), the current salinity reading has:

A) Fallen slightly lower from the morning.

B) Risen slightly higher from the morning.

C) Fallen drastically from the morning.

D) Skyrocketed up from the morning.

E) Not changed at all from the morning.

The answer was ”C.” If you calibrated your device with a refractive index of about 1.339 (35ppt) with blue light, and the aquarium reads about 35ppt, by simply changing the light to a higher wavelength (orange) to read the measurement, that would make the 35ppt salinity water read like freshwater about (1ppt).

It is paramount to use the same lighting to take refractometer readings as the light in which you used to calibrate it with.

Here’s a graph. We used the blue line for the example in the question:

IMG_7713.gif

This post goes a little bit more in depth: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/refractometers-and-the-color-of-light-used-important.174560/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back