Reef Chemistry Puzzle #2

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this a single compound? I wanted to say co2 but clearly carbonic acid isn't co2.

If it's a single compound, then this is a tough one. First thought was ammonia or co2, but my guess is a different compound or aqueous solution isn't the answer here.
Do you mean a compound or an element. IMHO - 'liquid ammonia' unless under high pressure - is dissolved in water - it's not actually 'liquid ammonia'. Same with CO2. And they are not elements. Same with H2O. And I don't know of anyone thats more concerned today vs 10 years ago about H2O,, CO2 or Ammonia?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean a compound or an element. IMHO - 'liquid ammonia' unless under high pressure - is dissolved in water - it's not actually 'liquid ammonia'. Same with CO2. And they are not elements. Same with H2O. And I don't know of anyone thats more concerned today vs 10 years ago about H2O,, CO2 or Ammonia?
I meant compound. Different compound, but same element as we decribe them present, that's what my thinking was.

Edit: if we are talking a single element then I put my money on co2/carbonic acid

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I meant compound. Different compound, but same element as we decribe them present, that's what my thinking was.

Edit: if we are talking a single element then I put my money on co2/carbonic acid
Co2/carbonic acid is not a single element.
EDIT - Congrats - you were correct!

Last edited:

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbonic acid reduces ph
Atomic number 89=Ac, 53=I, 110=Ds
Google was my friend

Edit, I should have said AcIDs reduce PH

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Puzzle 2

2 clues today

A. At room temperature, I am typically either a gas or a liquid
B. The fraction of reefkeepers who experience displeasure with me is more today than ten years ago (in my opinion)

What am I?

Good luck!

Previous Reef Chemistry Puzzle:

Water seems a good fit for this one. Carbon dioxide is typically not a liquid at room temperature, in pressure cylinders that we use for reef tanks, my understanding it is a solid that sublimates to release gas when the valve is opened.

The "displeasure" with water could be all of the people sending out samples for ICP analysis. I do understand that it really isn't the H2O that they are displeased with, just the contaminants (grin).

Jay

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... my understanding it is a solid that sublimates to release gas when the valve is opened.

Close. CO2 is a liquid in the cylinders and boils off to produce the gas. (They are roughly 800psi at room temperature)

My first impression when I read this yesterday was CO2, but quickly dismissed it. Do we ever get the answers to these?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...

The specific answer I was looking for is CO2.

'
CO2 is a gas at room temp and pressure, and can be a liquid when under pressure such as in a cylinder used for a CaCO3/CO2 reactor.
It would only be a solid at room temperature under extremely high pressure (>1000 atmospheres) that would not be encountered in everyday life:

B. The fraction of reefkeepers who experience displeasure with me is more today than ten years ago (in my opinion)

I was basing this on the increased focus on pH related to hard coral growth, and the unhappiness many find in realizing that indoor CO2 levels are driving their high tank CO2 levels and hence low pH. Ten years ago, not focusing on pH was more prevalent.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water seems a good fit for this one.

Water could fit, I'm just not sure the fraction of reefers displeased with water itself (arguably as opposed to components in it) is higher than 10 years ago, but it might be.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mercury can be both and there is a lot of talk about mercury in seafood lately.

Mercury certainly fits gas and liquid, but I'm not sure more folks are displeased with it today. MH and fluorescent bulbs are in decline, so reefers may even think about it less.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote ammonia

Pure ammonia is only a gas at room pressure, but it is a liquid under higher pressure..

A mix of ammonia and water fits the gas and liquid part, but I'm not convinced that folks are more displeased with any aspects of ammonia and water mixtures than they were 10 years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bromine or Mercury (I would guess people have always been concerned about mercury - so - probably more concerned about bromine

Bromine fits the liquid and gas part, and one certainly could argue that more folks are displeased with it since 10 years ago most reefers never thought about it and now they see it as a value in their ICP that they might not like.

I have to give this one full credit, despite it not being what I was looking for. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, then what have I been dipping my corals in?

If it is Lugols, that is a water solution that contains I2 and KI (I-). When combined, they form I3- which is soluble in water when I2 alone is not.

I2 itself forms little purplish/black/grey solid chunks.

1699546637063.png

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...

The specific answer I was looking for is CO2.

'
CO2 is a gas at room temp and pressure, and can be a liquid when under pressure such as in a cylinder used for a CaCO3/CO2 reactor.
It would only be a solid at room temperature under extremely high pressure (>1000 atmospheres) that would not be encountered in everyday life:

I was basing this on the increased focus on pH related to hard coral growth, and the unhappiness many find in realizing that indoor CO2 levels are driving their high tank CO2 levels and hence low pH. Ten years ago, not focusing on pH was more prevalent.
I had hoped it is water.
CO2 is a kinda lame answer if you ask me. Pretty much any gas can be a liquid under pressure. Ammonia, Nitrogen, Iodine you name it. They all fit the description.

With water it would at least fit the rule of riddles to "hide the tree in the forest"

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hoped it is water.
CO2 is a kinda lame answer if you ask me. Pretty much any gas can be a liquid under pressure. Ammonia, Nitrogen, Iodine you name it. They all fit the description.

With water it would at least fit the rule of riddles to "hide the tree in the forest"

Iodine is not a liquid at any pressure at room temperature (see the phase diagram below).

Ammonia and nitrogen fail clue 2. Nitrogen also is not a liquid a room temp. It goes supercritical before liquifying.

1699548767545.png

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back