Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #183 A Supersaturated Organic Molecule in the Ocean

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day [HASHTAG]#183[/HASHTAG]

I ran across an interesting fact today that I had never heard before when reading a section of a book to try to answer a complex question in this forum. So I'll use it as the question for today. I don't expect most readers will already know this fact, but astute ones may be able to deduce it from their knowledge of chemistry (or by guessing :D).

Which organic molecule is supersaturated in the surface layers of much of the ocean?

Supersaturation means there is more of it present that would be present if the system was allowed to come to equilibrium. So, for example, it might precipitate as a solid or disappear into the gas phase if it was not being replaced somehow faster than this could naturally happen.

Choices are...

A. Ethanol
B. Acetate
C. Dimethyl sulfide
D. Methane sulfonate

Good luck and let us know your reasoning!

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give my answer and reasoning cryptically, but Randy should understand: Pilson, page 289.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will have to look this up but my answer to part of this question on supersaturation just under the surface of the water would be Oxygen due to the high amount of photosynthesis.

Edit: And looking at the answers and thinking about it because of the oxygen production I'll say Dimethyl sulfide would be up there as well from the same source that produced the oxygen.

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methane id say

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say D without opening my chemistry book.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...C. Dimethyl sulfide

Bacteria make a lot of dimethyl sulfide in the ocean. There is a big plante-wide cycle of sulfur throught eh ocean and atmosphere,a nd dimethyl sulfide is a big player.

First, dimethylsulfide (DMS) looks like this: CH3-S-CH3. It is pretty nonpolar and not very soluble in water, so it can easily become supersaturated in seawater.

The first part of the cycle starts with marine algae make a different molecule, dimethylsulfonium proprionate (DMSP) from the amino acid methionine. It is charged and they use it for osmotic regulation. Bacteria then get ahold of the DMSP and convert it into DMS plus another organic molecule.

Here's a web site with more on DMS and the sulfur cycle:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/earth-at...stry-of-sulfur-fall-2007/projects/clayton.pdf

As to the other possible choices, all of them would be very soluble in seawater, and none are close to being "saturated". :)

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, learn something new. Thank you. I should go back to college and take some more chemistry class. LOL.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, learn something new. Thank you. I should go back to college and take some more chemistry class. LOL.

I remembered that one from some marine biology courses in South Florida. Had to brush off the cob webs in the brain though for that. It's been a while. They were a lot of fun and I highly recommend it. You can sit courses for very cheap or you used to be able to.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back