Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #42 GFO

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it started out as a minor post about the Marine Pure block and someone mentioned my readings in your post. I chimed in but the whole thing turned into a GFO talk (I think it was about leeching metals).

Anyway one member claimed that you not only haven't used GFO in over a year but that you recommend not using it because of what it leaches into the water column. I asked for the reference on that claim and was told that I could find it on my own search within articles and reef forum posts. I couldn't (and I only asked out of curiosity, thinking I've somehow read your articles wrong).

I think I angered him when I pressed about it and after asking you the above question (an answer contrary to his claim) I mentioned that he please reference his claims as I was afraid other members reading would believe this claim as it had come from "you", and would act accordingly.

Anyway he mistook my responses as aggression l, and not wanting to further derail the thread, tried to convince him of my neutrality and apologized for any inconvenience... And left it as that.

Minor drama but it worries me what people say that others might take as gospel, especially when names are dropped to validate those statements.

Oh well. [emoji20]

Edit: This was on RC

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, maybe it was a very old post he saw. I didn't use GFO years ago (it wasn't available) and I may well have been concerned about iron release when it first came out.

I know I was concerned about it crumbling and releasing bits of iron oxide in a tumbling application. Grinding it up, for example.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he finally showed a post from 2009 with you saying you didn't currently use it. I think he was fishing as he could have produced that when the topic got started, but he also spoke in the present.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back