Reef Crest Dropoff AIO Series - OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to pick up a red one for a jaw fish. Do you think the 9 would be big enough?

If the tank is setup properly as a species tank then yes. Though jawfish don't need a lot of swimming space they do need a deep sand bed area to properly build their den. Some jawfish will be content with a 3-4" sand depth. But they prefer more. Wouldn't you? The bottom level of the RC9 is 7" to the top of the sand lip for the top shelf. You could setup a seriously wicked small species tank with this. If it were me, I'd put 5" of sand in the bottom and then rockscape up and over the sand lip for the top level...maybe even just adding an overhanging shelf rock from the top leaving the 2" to sandbed below open and clear. You can guarantee your little jawfish will be front and center and not hidden from common view with this setup ;). T

hen, you have the top section reserved for your select uber premium @Incredible Corals. Only the best will make the cut in this limited quarters.

Couple more notes:

DEFINITELY get the optional lid. Jawfish are jumpers.

Provide your jawfish with rubble, shells, old coral branch fragments. They need these things to properly support their den from inside as well as to build up around their den if they choose.

rockinzebra457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is setup properly as a species tank then yes. Though jawfish don't need a lot of swimming space they do need a deep sand bed area to properly build their den. Some jawfish will be content with a 3-4" sand depth. But they prefer more. Wouldn't you? The bottom level of the RC9 is 7" to the top of the sand lip for the top shelf. You could setup a seriously wicked small species tank with this. If it were me, I'd put 5" of sand in the bottom and then rockscape up and over the sand lip for the top level...maybe even just adding an overhanging shelf rock from the top leaving the 2" to sandbed below open and clear. You can guarantee your little jawfish will be front and center and not hidden from common view with this setup ;). T

hen, you have the top section reserved for your select uber premium @Incredible Corals. Only the best will make the cut in this limited quarters.

Couple more notes:

DEFINITELY get the optional lid. Jawfish are jumpers.

Provide your jawfish with rubble, shells, old coral branch fragments. They need these things to properly support their den from inside as well as to build up around their den if they choose.

Oh yes. If i do this it will be just like that and he will be the only little guy in the tank.
Thanks for all the information.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick updated video teaser taken yesterday with the current Fluval Sea and Marine fixture. We received our Maxspect Razor Nano for the RC17 today. It's up and running great. We will get new videos done tonight with the new lighting. We also received the Maxspect Celestial Spotlight for the Pico 9 gallon. We will get some testing done on that one as well. The Celestial has ALMOST enough spread for the RC17 Nano so should be perfect on the RC9 Pico.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, here's a few pics showing a Tunze 9004 skimmer fitting beautifully with plenty of room to spare AND room to still put the rear lid back on =). These pics are showing the 9004 in our Reef Crest Series AIO-17 model. The 9004 is rated for 40-66 gallon systems...and fits our 17 gallon system great. Can anybody say super duper skimming? =).

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have an RC35 production model available for all to see? 10 more days till the New Year!

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have an RC35 production model available for all to see? 10 more days till the New Year!

Yep, we sure will Macro! Just trying to keep pace with washing out all of our Signature Series Pre-Order's and custom order's that are due before years end. This way we will be ready for production to begin first of the year on the Reef Crest Series. We like to keep on schedule ;). Unfortunately, this has slowed the final mods to the RC35 Demo.

We are working to finalize the production rear chamber CADs and demo model of the RC35. We have been through several variations with the rear chamber for the RC35. We want to make sure to have the biggest potential for equipment on market to fit in abundance compared to competitively sized systems. A recent example to this commitment across all of our tank Series is the posting showing the RC17 fitting a Tunze 9004. We are aiming to have even the 9012 fit in the RC35 and that is one of the largest body "nano" sized skimmers out there...though capable of supporting 55-150+ gallon systems.

We will get the CADs up no later than Christmas weekend as there are undoubtedly many waiting for this info prior to finalizing pre-orders which end on 12/31/15.

The smaller systems we have in operation are doing fantastic with flow even on their single pumps. The RC35 running on two 317gph pumps will have phenomenal flow through capacity and in display flow!

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, we sure will Macro! Just trying to keep pace with washing out all of our Signature Series Pre-Order's and custom order's that are due before years end. This way we will be ready for production to begin first of the year on the Reef Crest Series. We like to keep on schedule ;). Unfortunately, this has slowed the final mods to the RC35 Demo.

We are working to finalize the production rear chamber CADs and demo model of the RC35. We have been through several variations with the rear chamber for the RC35. We want to make sure to have the biggest potential for equipment on market to fit in abundance compared to competitively sized systems. A recent example to this commitment across all of our tank Series is the posting showing the RC17 fitting a Tunze 9004. We are aiming to have even the 9012 fit in the RC35 and that is one of the largest body "nano" sized skimmers out there...though capable of supporting 55-150+ gallon systems.

We will get the CADs up no later than Christmas weekend as there are undoubtedly many waiting for this info prior to finalizing pre-orders which end on 12/31/15.

The smaller systems we have in operation are doing fantastic with flow even on their single pumps. The RC35 running on two 317gph pumps will have phenomenal flow through capacity and in display flow!

Sounds good. It would help those who really want to get the bigger tank from your production line make a firm commitment before New Years!

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. It would help those who really want to get the bigger tank from your production line make a firm commitment before New Years!

Absolutely. Even releasing the CAD info Christmas weekend is a little tight so we are already discussing extending the Pre-Order special pricing for RC35's to allow people a little more time with that one since it has last released data.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had some fun with this video... =). We think it came out great. The duncans and a few others were a little unhappy with the light change that occurred a few hours prior, but did later open up once the whites were turned down. With so many INCREDIBLE Corals, and rock from Real Reef Rock, the tank certainly has an almost grown in look to it even though it is yet still so new. Enjoy!!

Light used is the Maxspect Celestial C35-F. These lights can be found online for as low as $150 and work GREAT for the RC9 Pico and work WELL for the RC17 Nano. With proper coral placement and selection where appropriate this little light shines quite bright on even the RC17 (and is still the current light in use over our demo model). On the RC9 it has all the spread you could need and then some. The corals we currently have in the RC17 demo are responding well to the C35.

We also tested the Maxspect Razor Nano on the RC17. Though it has twice the wattage of the spotlight, it comes up about 3-4 inches short on extension to get properly centered in the tank. This is mainly due to the very wide mount used for the light. It will only fit on the back wall and cannot be located on the false wall where it would have optimal centering. The Razor Nano would work great on the RC17 if being suspended or was affixed through a stand mounted light rail. On the RC9 the Razor Nano would be a complete powerhouse and fit perfectly.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of our pictures and demo reel video so far are of our in store setup of the RC17 model.

Want to see a great setup of the Reef Crest 9 coming together? Check out Jaugermeister's thread on R2R. He's all setup with sand, rock, lighting, RC Drawer ATO setup, even a modified media basket. Stock plans include a large variety of mini rock nems! So excited to see this one come to life. Check it out here....

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/shh-santa-came-early.226591/

tomxreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at the 9 gallon and the Petco Brooklyn metal stand for a 10 gallon. Would I need a piece of plywood or something to support the bottom of the tank or would I be fine?

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at the 9 gallon and the Petco Brooklyn metal stand for a 10 gallon. Would I need a piece of plywood or something to support the bottom of the tank or would I be fine?

Yes, you will definitely need to add a flat bottom to the Brooklyn stand. A piece of plywood cut to fit would work just fine. Just make sure to "finish" the wood so it can handle the water long term. A piece of black acrylic, starboard, glass, or other rigid plastic wouldn't need to be finished however.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised everybody, here are the dimensions for the Reef Crest 35 gallon model!!

And for easy thread reference, here again are the dimensions for the Reef Crest 9 and Reef Crest 17 gallon models.

Last edited:

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you are going to make one of these without the filter in the back? I was thinking about making one of these a frag tank next to the display. I would want it plumbed into the main tank however.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you are going to make one of these without the filter in the back? I was thinking about making one of these a frag tank next to the display. I would want it plumbed into the main tank however.

That would be the most awesome frag tank ever =). All the hot looks AND multi leveled rack placement ;). I sent you a PM.

In short, it will require a little reprogramming for the cut files, but I'd think we could remove the rear chamber baffles and push the top shelf back the extra ~4.5". This would leave a small space in the back sealed and unused right behind the area for the drawer (but still needed for support to allow it to sit on any standard flat surface you put it on). From there, plumbing we can figure out how you want to handle the plumbing in/out on the back panel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics of the Reef Crest 35 Gallon model (RC35). This demo model with replace our RC17 demo model in-store so look out for new demo videos soon! Our RC17 demo model will be heading into the capable talented hands of one of our favorite customers...even though she is mainly a "freshie" keeping freshwater fish ;). She will be turning it into a freshwater fish paradise and we can't wait to see the freshwater perspective too!!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back