Reef Musing: Are fish and other marine life affected by Northern Lights?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always slept right through these astral incidents.
black and white love GIF

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if their Sunday is going to be completely thrown off. I'm sure someone here knows something about this!
Seriously, corals are known to time spawning events in coordinated action that coincides with tides, moon phases, and other astrological phenomena. The aurora Borealis could have some interesting effects but it is generally observed in the skies away from the tropical reefs.

It is an electromagnetic (or ionic?) solar radiation incident that might be, in theory at least detectable by a lateral line but when I asked my fish about it they refused to discuss the phenomenon.
I have not heard anything in the news that would indicate that it was impacting the fish, ( shark bites, beaching whales or dolphins, etc) and the people I know who live where it was reported visible decided to go to bed an hour before the lights went off in the heavens.
nhl GIF by SB Nation

So we don’t have a clue, once again. They didn’t even make anything up like I did. They lack interest when they can’t give credit or blame to support their cause.:thinking-face::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool:

Roe V Wade Abortion GIF by GIPHY News

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, corals are known to time spawning events in coordinated action that coincides with tides, moon phases, and other astrological phenomena. The aurora Borealis could have some interesting effects but it is generally observed in the skies away from the tropical reefs.

It is an electromagnetic (or ionic?) solar radiation incident that might be, in theory at least detectable by a lateral line but when I asked my fish about it they refused to discuss the phenomenon.
I have not heard anything in the news that would indicate that it was impacting the fish, ( shark bites, beaching whales or dolphins, etc) and the people I know who live where it was reported visible decided to go to bed an hour before the lights went off in the heavens.
nhl GIF by SB Nation

So we don’t have a clue, once again. They didn’t even make anything up like I did. They lack interest when they can’t give credit or blame to support their cause.:thinking-face::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool:

Roe V Wade Abortion GIF by GIPHY News
I read somewhere on the credible internet that a strong aurora borealis gives about as much photosynthetic energy as a full moon, so who knows!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere on the credible internet that a strong aurora borealis gives about as much photosynthetic energy as a full moon, so who knows!!
This is interesting. If it is true then I would think it could provide some growth energy for plants and plankton and maybe trigger flowers to bloom?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, because the amount of photosynthetic energy provided by the moon is insignificant to start with.
Oh, I misread the source information in the post. The moon only impacts werewolves, everyone knows that. It doesn’t make plants grow, my bad in reading that post.

James May What GIF by DriveTribe

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I misread the source information in the post. The moon only impacts werewolves, everyone knows that. It doesn’t make plants grow, my bad in reading that post.

James May What GIF by DriveTribe
Now a musing of the effects of the aurora on werewolves…

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh the moon provides like 1/400,000 the luminance of the sun…. That’s like replacing your radion with a digital clock
That's the numbers I saw earlier

However, if the moon affects things like spawning events, presumably through some sort of detection of photosynthetic light, could the northern lights cause some events as well?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back