Reef Octopus VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH)

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@helldiver Yep, what @Highgrade said is true. I have the Apex classic and there are two Variable Speed control ports V1 and V2. I am using the V1 port to control two pumps. You only need the one cable as it is split to control two controllers, it just plugs right into the controller - check out the video above.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about going with the Varios Skimmer. Anyone have any experience? I know there is a recent post regarding preferred Skimmer Brands. Seems like Reef Octopus is at the top of the list.

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Reef Octopus DC pump for 3 years now and have been working with Reef Octopus on the Controller for nearly 2 years. I absolutely love the simple things like the integrated float switch and universal control I have with my 3rd party system controller. I have even went as far as allowing the skimmer to skim less at night and more during the day by increasing and decreasing the speed of the pump. The Reef Octopus DC pump is as reliable as they come and super efficient. Dealing with a variety of skimmer pumps over the years, I can not say enough good things about the pump. Here is the beast that filters my 220gal

IMG_5390-2-e1478279905434.jpg

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking controller but, I are the pumps just re-branded Jebao motor blocks?
The Reef Octopus RODC and VarioS DC pumps are not Jebao. Reef Octopus makes these pump like their Bubble Blaster and Aquatrance. Many of the cooling concepts and rotor design for the of the Water Blaster/Bubble Blaster is found in the VarioS line of variable speed pumps.

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was previously using the Reef Octopus DC 250EXT. The original pump failed in about a year but was covered by warranty and replaced with this new version, it ran another 2 years flawlessly but now sits empty. My system configuration has changed to the Red Sea 250 and I am now using the Reef Octopus Regal 200 SSS spacesaver that is powered by the VarioS-4S pump and I am very happy with it. It runs smooth and is fairly quiet for the amount of water and air it pushes through it. Mine is setup and controlled by Apex, runs at 100% full time and has a 10 minute restart ramp up time in the event of a power fail to prevent overflow into the collection cup. I know it is probably overkill for my system but I have always had good results skimming. I'm not sure if I like the float for the collection cup as the sensor needs to be disconnected from the controller bringing the sensor wire along with the lid to the sink for cleaning but it is an included option. I liked it so much I am also using the VarioS-6S pump for my return pump and the matching controllers just look nice.
Sump.jpg

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was previously using the Reef Octopus DC 250EXT. The original pump failed in about a year but was covered by warranty and replaced with this new version, it ran another 2 years flawlessly but now sits empty. My system configuration has changed to the Red Sea 250 and I am now using the Reef Octopus Regal 200 SSS spacesaver that is powered by the VarioS-4S pump and I am very happy with it. It runs smooth and is fairly quiet for the amount of water and air it pushes through it. Mine is setup and controlled by Apex, runs at 100% full time and has a 10 minute restart ramp up time in the event of a power fail to prevent overflow into the collection cup. I know it is probably overkill for my system but I have always had good results skimming. I'm not sure if I like the float for the collection cup as the sensor needs to be disconnected from the controller bringing the sensor wire along with the lid to the sink for cleaning but it is an included option. I liked it so much I am also using the VarioS-6S pump for my return pump and the matching controllers just look nice.
Sump.jpg
Awesome setup. I really like how organized you are with all your equipment. I would suggest relocating your electronics. These skimmers draw a good amount of air which pushes up through the holes in the lid of the skimmer which may result in corrosion of the outlet strip and other modules.

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup. I really like how organized you are with all your equipment. I would suggest relocating your electronics. These skimmers draw a good amount of air which pushes up through the holes in the lid of the skimmer which may result in corrosion of the outlet strip and other modules.
Yes, I agree. I should have put them on the other side.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone still enjoying the pump as a return pump? Looking to purchase it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I still am happy with mine and love the controllability option through the Apex.
I am considering the VarioS-4 pump for a return pump on my 50 gallon tank, but I am also considering a Vectra M1.
I know how quiet the M1's are.
Of all the specs I look at for pumps, the noise level is the highest priority.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering the VarioS-4 pump for a return pump on my 50 gallon tank, but I am also considering a Vectra M1.
I know how quiet the M1's are.
Of all the specs I look at for pumps, the noise level is the highest priority.
I was originally interested in a vectra
Loving mine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another for a different tank or recommend to a fellow R2R.
Glad to hear that, which model do you have? What size tank?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally interested in a vectra

Glad to hear that, which model do you have? What size tank?
I have the Varios-6 on a SCA 120 gallon. Its more than enough pump to run on a tank up to 150gal depending on head pressure from the sump.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Varios-6 on a SCA 120 gallon. Its more than enough pump to run on a tank up to 150gal depending on head pressure from the sump.
Great. I'm looking at it for my 65 gallon with a 40b sump.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios 4 should work out just fine I would think.
Was looking to implement a manifold with some reactors running off of it, along with possibly upgrading to a larger tank in the future. I originally was looking at the L1 even for the increased strength. I have a tendency to go larger than I need to justify the need for an upgrade :p

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back