Reef Radiance LumenTek Pro180. I want to hear from you!!

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color temp are people aiming for with the Lumutek? I want a 14k to 16k look but don't really know what my peak percentages should be.

Any help is appreciated.

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv had mine for a while its awesome!!! My fault I turned it up too high and stressed some coral and now im at 30%w and 50% blue peak . It is 12 in above my 57DB my only issue I some zoas are melting after thriving but, I think I caused zoa poxs with te high intensity. All of my other corals are doing awesome

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed my sch. on these lights putting whites at 75% and blues around 60%. My pink sps, Idk if its a birdsnest or not but its growing good. Its starting to bud off in 4 different spots now. I have also placed a blue acro near it so maybe it will do the same.

Also the lights are hanging 16inches above the tank and the first corals are at 18.5 inches. I'll be giving this light another 4 months and then they are gone.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a 30 /50 what color range is this? Doe anyone think it is a 14k color?

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a growth pic from my tank this is a paly from Your Reef got it a 5 weeks ago. It's burning embers or something. Anyways it was 2 polyps nothing else. Now it's 2 + 5 babies. Idk what I'm doing but something must be right!

Attachments

• 1413583837324.jpg
    1413583837324.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 198

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWK - cant speak for you or your tank - but the vast majority of people who have purchased the LUMENTEK line have been very happy with the coral growth they achieved. I have done this for 30 years - this hobby specifically - and can tell you that lighting is only one of many facets of coral growth and without knowing more about your tank or its history or specifics I am flying blind. That said you no longer have the lights - and I am curious why are still commenting on them - especially in context of the positive responses on this thread from the other users?

Before we had to stop selling them because of the price increase from the factory - we sold well over 2000 of these units and have had very few complaints about growing coral.

I am glad you found a solution that works for you - too bad you are not here when I receive the many many emails from customers - like the ones here on this thread - that are growing amazing corals with these lights.

It seems like you and DFW don't like our lights. Well - ok.

Not everyone will.

Rick

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWK - cant speak for you or your tank - but the vast majority of people who have purchased the LUMENTEK line have been very happy with the coral growth they achieved. I have done this for 30 years - this hobby specifically - and can tell you that lighting is only one of many facets of coral growth and without knowing more about your tank or its history or specifics I am flying blind. That said you no longer have the lights - and I am curious why are still commenting on them - especially in context of the positive responses on this thread from the other users?

Before we had to stop selling them because of the price increase from the factory - we sold well over 2000 of these units and have had very few complaints about growing coral.

I am glad you found a solution that works for you - too bad you are not here when I receive the many many emails from customers - like the ones here on this thread - that are growing amazing corals with these lights.

It seems like you and DFW don't like our lights. Well - ok.

Not everyone will.

Rick

Whoa there bud. Never talked bad about you or your lights. All I said was that they didn't work for me, not for my sps. I have spoken to others that are having the same experience.

As far as I can remember, the OP asked for people's experience with them, so I gave mine. This is a public forum, and this post isn't in your sponsor sub-forum is it?

Sorry If I was out of line.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE;2047365]Whoa there bud. Never talked bad about you or your lights. All I said was that they didn't work for me, not for my sps. I have spoken to others that are having the same experience.

As far as I can remember, the OP asked for people's experience with them, so I gave mine. This is a public forum, and this post isn't in your sponsor sub-forum is it?

Sorry If I was out of line.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't apologize. It is a good thing to hear everyone's opinion and experience of a product. Good or bad; whether a vendor likes it or not. We often only have the side of a salesman, and well, they embellish. As long as we consumers are truthful to the reasons a product didn't work or turned out to be not for us, then that is all that matters. Vendors need not get overly defensive.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man

I actually tried to edit my post but it was beyond the time limit. I wholeheartedly retract that apology.

Ricks response was rude and rick, you know why. Your defensiveness speaks volumes. Instead of trying to discredit my abilities, maybe you could use some criticism to improve your product.

I actually felt good enough about the lights to sell them to a buddy that's starting softie tank. I am still waiting on the controller fix that keeps these amazing lights from changing modes randomly....

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol - I agree there is no need to apologize. Even though I am not very good at sales - I do want people to buy our lights as MrDJeep123 mentioned. I have no problem with people commenting on our forums - good or bad. Many times I find great ideas from members - and some times it is from a member who wants something to different about one of our products. I too hear from people who read this forum and don't always post and received several emails from members who question why someone who no longer has a light that is no longer being sold is posting about it? That is the reason I asked you that specific question - because I was asked.

Rick

Last edited:

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh huh....

People have a lot of free time apparently

To ricks "people" - my pm box works

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the LEDs looking a little green instead of royal blue, I find the controller to be very user unfriendly. It is a pain to set! Out of the 2,000,000 sold maybe I got the only one with greenish LEDs. I am starting to doubt it, but I don't know. And maybe I am too dumb to figure out how to use the controller the easy way. Is there an easy way?

I have a similar unit made by another maker that is very intuitive to set up. It has royal blue LEDs that lean a little too far to the violet spectrum for my taste, but they certainly are royal blues. (I can only go by what I see with my eyes when I hang these next to other royal blue LEDs like Luxeons, Crees, Epistars, Bridgelux. I have not tested these with laboratory equipment of any kind. I'm just a hick usin' my eyes to look at stuff side by side with other stuff, and taking note of the differences!) I hope to get some replacement LEDs and install them in this unit nonetheless so that someone can get some use out of it. I think they must be 1.5 watt LEDs, and some of these violet leaning RBs from this other company might mix well with the blues that are on here now. They will sell me the LEDs, too. I've got to knock that green down!

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally see NO green at all. Being very new to LED's I've been struggling with finding the sweet spot that most appeals to my eyes. I'm getting fantastic growth from ALL my corals. Even the notoriously slow growing Favia, as my previous pictures prove :)
I've been reading everything I can about LED's. Just today I finally came across a sight that has explained the best way to use them among other important facts.

I learned that most corals I keep do not use a lot of full spectrum light, and some don't use it at all. Mainly because it isn't available to them at certain depths. Which is what the white LED's provides.
With this knowledge I am ever happier with my Pro 180! I did not want to become one of THOSE who suffer from the User Error Syndrome-lol. Without a basic understand of "light" and how our corals need/use it, like many I too would have gone back to the easy but expensive T5 lights. Like everything in this hobby, patients is key :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414004074.528712.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414004272.830071.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414004312.833086.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back