Reef raft!!!!!!!!

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you just said it's Ebay trash, and turn around and say the other one was so grand and special..... Looks like apples to apples to me

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I need to hand it to you since you can accurately identify species of a 1/4" frag. My hats off to you

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are not even the same species....that is like comparing a scoly to a lobo cause they are shaped the same...and the colors in the one I asked what were you comparing it to are correct...I have seen that one come in wild before...but not common at all...only seen it for two shipments back to back then it was gone....my boy wouldn't even sell me one....he kept it for the store...the stuff you are buying or posting from ebay are very common and are not even close to the ones the guy posted from RR....now his color balance skills and prices are another thing....but they are rare stuff that collectors have showed will pay lots of money for it....as a business that is the goal...supply and demand is high enough to fetch what he does then good for him...I have been in this hobby a long time and seen many things fade in and out ...its all about finding what is hot...and they have done well...next year it will be a new vendor new coral...

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree with all of that. I never said any of the corals I put pictures up of were the same thing. I said one resembles the other, same color pattern. As far as the Ebay stuff, yeah it's common. It's also beautiful corals, and I wasn't even implying that it was the same "anything" as the rr corals. I stated "there's some on Ebay that look just as good" not that they would be a certain species that's rare or anything of the sort.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a misunderstanding at what I was getting at. I don't really see anything out of the ordinary with the looks of this coral people are flipping out over. There's probably a green bodied blue tipped acro or 6 in just about everybody's tank.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree with all of that. I never said any of the corals I put pictures up of were the same thing. I said one resembles the other, same color pattern. As far as the Ebay stuff, yeah it's common. It's also beautiful corals, and I wasn't even implying that it was the same "anything" as the rr corals. I stated "there's some on Ebay that look just as good" not that they would be a certain species that's rare or anything of the sort.
I assume you dont collect much sps or are new to it cause once you have for many years, it is all about finding the rare species and crazy growth form...the RR stuff fits the category for sure...not the price and the way everything around it is handled could be adjusted...but man I am stick head more then anything and the stuff he brings in you are not going to find very often...it just not out there...if he were to produce proper photos you would believe what you are seeing more....but he lacks there so most assume that it is way off...he had no need to edit the stuff like that because that color is there, just not so saturated...shooting crazy colors is more challenging to do correct then plain colored corals... what is also happening with his sps is he is shooting and chopping wild stuff too soon and not holding it long enough to go through the normal wild acro brown out stage...where some color back up and some never do...this is also the reason for the high death rates...this is sadly a common way vendors handle wild stuff these days...recieve it and chop it fast enough the buyer takes all the losses...and us hobbyist are the ones to blame for accepting it...most new people to the hobby think it is the common way..SMH

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct there as well.... I'm in the "buy good looking stuff and not care about rarity" stage of the acro game. Right around 1 1/2 years in. My frag rack is half full of stuff I have no clue what it will look like in a year from now. But that's part of the excitement of buying frags IMO.

I know all too well about not being able to capture the true colors of the corals, especially sticks. No matter what I do I can't seem to pick up on the true colors. Then again I have no post processing programs. I normally just shoot with my cell and go with it instead of breaking out the dslr.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go check out my thread... have been into finding rare stuff for many years :)...anyways glad we could discuss a topic like adults...have a good night :)

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, and even though I haven't commented on your thread any if at all I'm subscribed :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geezzzz, is it me or are we doing the beating a horse again ?!?
If I still remember and my memory is still 100% the OP made this a "REEFRAFT" thread, not "EBAY"

"EBAY" will be a good topic too so it should imo have his own thread.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geezzzz, is it me or are we doing the beating a horse again ?!?
If I still remember and my memory is still 100% the OP made this a "REEFRAFT" thread, not "EBAY"

"EBAY" will be a good topic too so it should imo have his own thread.

Agreed, let's keep it on track here and not bash this coral unless you have actually seen it first hand. Also if you have experience with buying RR corals then by all means start a thread and show em off good or bad please. If you don't have any experience then please keep the negative comments to yourselves and move along to the next thread.

I think a Ebay thread would be awesome, just let's keep the links and vendor names out of the posts!

BTW, check out the super cool signature my posts have been sporting lately, it's bashing like what's in this thread that has inspired it....

Last edited:

show time

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bashing over. The only thing that keep me in this game is new and rare corals, if they all look like the $20 frag that was posted up i will just shut my tank down and go fishing.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140712_193251.jpeg

Reef Raft no name.
Did I pay a lot for it? Yes. Am I happy with it? Yes. Could I have gotten this piece on Fleabay for $20.00? No.

Luckily I'm free to spend my money however I want. I dont understand how people try and impose their spending habits(or lack thereof) on others.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bashing over. The only thing that keep me in this game is new and rare corals, if they all look like the $20 frag that was posted up i will just shut my tank down and go fishing.

You're a different type of hobbyist then. I'll take a tank with huge grown out colonies of decent sps over a tank with a bunch of rare frags that will be fragged over and over. It's just preference. I have to say though that I like the rare stuff, I just don't like cutting it up once I get it.

show time

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're a different type of hobbyist then. I'll take a tank with huge grown out colonies of decent sps over a tank with a bunch of rare frags that will be fragged over and over. It's just preference. I have to say though that I like the rare stuff, I just don't like cutting it up once I get it.
You don't have to frag it if you don't want to also you can't compare quality with quantity. For me it the little thing that make it special in my tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back