Reefer 250g2 build

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a reefer 170 and a 350 both older, purchased used that have been running a few years. I generally buy used because - well you know - you can pick up everything for half price. This go round I purchased a new reefer 250 to upgrade the 170 that’s starting to show signs of wear and algae in the seams.

I did go back and forth between the 250 and the waterbox 90.3 which are both 3’ tanks 65-69 gallons total volume. We all know the issues with the reefer G1’s so I’m hoping the G2 series are better. The main reason for going red sea even though I was interested in the waterbox was primarily the smaller sump with room for equipment in the cabinet and overall better availability. I will say I’ve sent questions to waterbox CS that we’re never answered and that didn’t help in the decision.

about The only thing I can use from the 170 is the xr15 G6 and maybe the MP10 so here’s what I have so far:

tank that needs to be set up and leveled
2x XR15G6 pros
vectra s2
reef ato that came with the tank
inkird controller with 200 watt BRS titanium heater
1 MP10 which may or may not work on 12mm glass
reefmat 500

not sure on a skimmer I know nyos is all the rage but I’ve had good luck with bubble magus so may just get a curve A5. Not sure if I’ll get an apex or not I have a full A2 on my 350 and don’t use many of the features. I have a DOS that I"m not using so I may connect that to the apex and use the bubble magus T11 from the 350.

pics To follow…

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice good luck I have a 250 as well. I look forward to seeing your progress. Do yourself a favor and replace the valve with a gate valve best upgrade I have done to the tank yet!
I did order the metric to standard plumbing kit but only planned on doing the return 3/4” to 3/4”. Might be a good time to add a gate valve. I literally never mess with the diaphragm valve on the reefers. If they make noise they make noise…but since I’m in there

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A super exciting palet that nobody has seen before
IMG_4908.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

A quit check to make sure everything arrived in one piece

IMG_4920.jpeg

The tank is in my office so right now everything is a mess
IMG_4931.jpeg

This is as far as I’ve got. Seems impossible to get the doors perfectly aligned
IMG_4529.jpeg

The reefer 170 the 250 is replacing. It’s basically been taken over by 2 CC infernos nems

IMG_4916.jpeg

Why I’m doing all this
more to come

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY controller cabinet. I got the wrong hinges so the door is jacked but I should be able to get all the wires and power bricks behind the door and mounted. I did this one a little different than my last one this has a wall the entire length of the cabinet (but not full height) to separate the electronics from the sump.
tempImagemN9Ivo.png

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much going on too busy at work to mess with this outside of the weekends. Hoping to fill it up next weekend and transfer rock / corals / fish from the 170. I'll probably get another apex so I left room on the board for it. Had to order 2 more brackets for the powerheads that will mount in line with the return. Undecided on whether I'm going to steal the BM T-11 thats connected to another tank, with full apex and just connect the dos that ive had sitting around for about 2 years, or get a Reef Dose. Oh, and kinda always wanted a white sump...so figured why not. Hole covers / grommets I had did not fit so ordered target ones on Amazon.

tempImageCXFmpH.jpg

tempImageYqP4YP.jpg

tempImagejtQbXN.jpg

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller door is just leaning up against the board so it looks kinda wonky. I'll look better when all the controllers get mounted and I put in the grommets
tempImageMWDgb3.jpg

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man about a week and a half ago I had help and started draining the old tank. I could not get the nems off the back wall. Im going to try again this week. I'd really like to have my office back!
tempImagezOPiQo.png

tempImagemBeiLF.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back