Reeflo Dart replacement to DC - heat and reliability questions

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - Considering replacing a reeflo dart with a DC return pump.

The reeflo draws ~150 watts and the only heat that imparts into the water is via heat conducted through the shaft/bearing (from the motor) and friction. Thus, virtually no heat from the motor is transferred and instead is shed to the room.

DC pumps - even run externally, are water cooled, as the water floods the impeller and magnet housing.

Looking at the flow curves for the large VarioS and RD 3 pumps at moderate head heights, they are in the same efficiency ballpark. My question to owners of the ~150 watt VarioS/RD/Jeabo pumps is - what is the external operating temperature (when run externally)?

I don't have much wiggle room for heating of the water by a pump.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean, my dc pump is not a big one but adds-0- heat running internally.
Might I suggest the same mfg. with a 5 year warranty.
Ralph is an easy guy to talk to & will answer any questions you might have. I have done business with him for longer that I care to admit.

skimmerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Reeflo pumps. Works well biggest problem is seal leakage. And they will leak. I use a ecotech pump on my 180 gallon supplies multiple manifolds. No issues.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Snoopy - thanks for the response. I will look into the pumps. The warranty looks very good.

FWIW - all internal pumps add heat. As no pump can convert 100% of the electricity it uses into water flow, the byproduct is heat. The only place it can go is into the water. Depending on the size of the system vs the size of the pump, this may or may not be noticeable.

I am on the borderline in the summer and can't deal with any significant added heat input.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Reeflo pumps. Works well biggest problem is seal leakage. And they will leak. I use a ecotech pump on my 180 gallon supplies multiple manifolds. No issues.
Yeah - seal leaks are nightmares. I have been lucky, but 8+ years in on same seal....

Looking to shed a bit of noise too if possible and the slow start of most DC pumps is desirable for daily feed mode. I have no complaints about my dart, but I am thinking about moving on.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had AC & Dc pumps heat up a tank to where I got rid of them.
The present pump will let the tank drop to 76 degrees if I let it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 88 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back