ReefMat 500 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea

geko522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have 2 down pipes from my HOB Overflow. I bought the ReefMat 500 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea and see that only 1 Overflow pipe is connected to the fleece roller. What do I do with my other Overflow pipe? Do I let it drain into the sump, turn off the ball valve or tee them together? I'm at a loss for what to do here. Thanks for any advice! Picture is of the Overflow I have.

1000012591.jpg

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the ReefMat is set up to filter a single overflow pipe. I have the 1200 and I have my main drain connected to it, and the emergency drain just runs into the sump unfiltered.

If you can have all (or most) of your water running through the ReefMat, that’s ideal. So shutting off 1 of the drains would work so long as you have an emergency. Tying them in together would be better.

If not, it just means that only a portion of your water will pass through the roller. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either. Some filtration is better than none.

Upvote 0

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what hole/pipe size the reefmat 500 uses but a 1" union fits on the 1200 which would allow for 2 drains to go into the 1200.
If the piping is the same then you can use a 1" union and hybrid pvc + flexible pipe to get the other drain into the reefmat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
geko522

geko522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have 2 down pipes from my HOB Overflow. I bought the ReefMat 500 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea and see that only 1 Overflow pipe is connected to the fleece roller. What do I do with my other Overflow pipe? Do I let it drain into the sump, turn off the ball valve or tee them together? I'm at a loss for what to do here. Thanks for any advice! Picture is of the Overflow I have.

1000012591.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
geko522

geko522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for contacting Red Sea.

You can connect your second overflow pipe to the other side of the ReefMat inlet, allowing all the water to process through the ReefMat.
Best Regards,
Ashlee
Red Sea Group

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back