Remove or Leave?

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I recently purchased a used 46 gallon bow front aquarium. The previous owner had it connected to a sump and so the tank has been drilled and has what I think is called an overflow box.
1000006084.jpg

1000006366.jpg

1000006365.jpg
1000006364.jpg

We purchased and installed and bulkhead to close the hole as we are planning on using a HOB at this time.

1000006362.jpg

1000006363.jpg

My question is should we remove the box or leave it in place. My husband wants to leave it in place and I want to remove it. I am afraid that water will get in there and become stagnant.

If we should leave it in place, should we keep the water level below the grates?

If we should remove it, do we just cut the silicone? Do you think it is held in place by anything else that might make it hard to remove? And if so how would we deal with that?

Any input would be appreciated. I have not yet figured out how to tackle this and I can't properly begin setting up the tank until I do. 1000006366.jpg

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that in the back chamber (cant tell if it has one like an all in one tank) or if its in the main display? Also find it very strange its only boxed in on the top and no hole in the bottom to lead to a sump (at least a drilled one)

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that in the back chamber (cant tell if it has one like an all in one tank) or if its in the main display? Also find it very strange its only boxed in on the top and no hole in the bottom to lead to a sump (at least a drilled one)
Sorry, I added more photos. Accidentally posted before the post was complete.

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is inside the main display in the back right corner. I believe this was the way the the water entered the hose to go to the sump. The hole is in the back of the tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I added more photos. Accidentally posted before the post was complete.
Im not a good plumbing person so take this with a grain of salt. But it looks like it was a handy job done by the owner to drill that black part of the tank vs the other material to plumb a sump under the tank or a HOB filter or something. Im not sure I would remove cause you would probably need to plug that hole or it might be a risk to fish. If you can plug it and are confident and want to do your own filtration than maybe remove? Maybe someone else will pipe in who is good with plumbing lol

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a good plumbing person so take this with a grain of salt. But it looks like it was a handy job done by the owner to drill that black part of the tank vs the other material to plumb a sump under the tank or a HOB filter or something. Im not sure I would remove cause you would probably need to plug that hole or it might be a risk to fish. If you can plug it and are confident and want to do your own filtration than maybe remove? Maybe someone else will pipe in who is good with plumbing lol
Yeah, plumbing is not my thing either. Lol. That is why I chose to do without the sump at this time. This was definitely this guy's project but I think I got a good deal on it, $125 with the stand. Either he or a buddy drilled it. The back part is glass. Unfortunately it did not come with plumbing. We did get a 20 gallon tank that he referred to as a sump. But I think that was a project gone all the way wrong. lol.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, plumbing is not my thing either. Lol. That is why I chose to do without the sump at this time. This was definitely this guy's project but I think I got a good deal on it, $125 with the stand. Either he or a buddy drilled it. The back part is glass. Unfortunately it did not come with plumbing. We did get a 20 gallon tank that he referred to as a sump. But I think that was a project gone all the way wrong. lol.
Lol yeah if youre not doing a sump see if you can remove and plug the hole. Its kinda sketch to be honest!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told the hubby is it doesn't work out, we can always turn it into a reptile tank and he can get that snake that he has always wanted. Lol.
Lol thats one way to get it done! I told my BF if he let me get a bigger tank than my 70 he could have a puffer and he was excited. Dudes lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back