Replacement pumps for red sea nano skimmer

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump that red sea supply with their desktop nano skimmer is rather loud. Unbearably so in my case due to the tank being in my bedroom.

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for this pump that is quiet?
(I already replaced the return pump with a TMC DC one that is absolutely inaudible)

jlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump that red sea supply with their desktop nano skimmer is rather loud. Unbearably so in my case due to the tank being in my bedroom.

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for this pump that is quiet?
(I already replaced the return pump with a TMC DC one that is absolutely inaudible)
Which tmc pump did you get

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. so this one is closed? :) I would also like to know which TMC pump. Not really for replacement, but to have as a spare when something breaks!

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it was just one i had laying around from use with a uv steriliser on my old tank. Its the TMC DC-1000. It works very well however it doesnt fit WELL in the red sea nano tanks. You will have to remove the flat stand part and the blue impeller guard on the front, and shove it down into the return chamber at an angle. But ive had it going 7 months now and its never had any problems whatsoever, its also inaudible.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dont know of a needle wheel pump that i think would fit the skimmer… im seriously fed up with the sound this skimmer makes, you can hear it down the hall way let alone in my bedroom…

jlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dont know of a needle wheel pump that i think would fit the skimmer… im seriously fed up with the sound this skimmer makes, you can hear it down the hall way let alone in my bedroom…
Regarding the skimmer what I found to quieten mine down was to wedge a pice of 1/4 thick foam between the back of the skimmer and the rear glass it’s not completely silent but better than it was the return pump hum is louder than my skimmer

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the skimmer what I found to quieten mine down was to wedge a pice of 1/4 thick foam between the back of the skimmer and the rear glass it’s not completely silent but better than it was the return pump hum is louder than my skimmer
Yes i have heard of this helping, ill have a look. The sound it makes does sound like a vibration of sorts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back