Restocking the Pico...small Sea Apple or a few Mini Scolys?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm restocking my 2.5 gallon Pico and am trying to decide what to add next. Current inhabitants are a Greissenger Goby, a Tailspot Blenny, and Bumblebee Snails only. I found a small Sea Apple about 3 inches going for $24 and since I've never kept one before I thought it might be an interesting addition. I also have a love for mini Scolys which run about $14 each. The only reason I'm hesitating to choose like 3 of them is because the current ones in stock aren't particularly shocking in their color variations and new ones show up frequently. What would you guys choose?
1693856810357.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the sea apple, there are many tanks that they'd be safe in so that could be really cool. The feeding would be the difficult part, but it'd be worth it IMO.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the sea apple, there are many tanks that they'd be safe in so that could be really cool. The feeding would be the difficult part, but it'd be worth it IMO.
I'm kind of siding with the sea apple as well given it's only 3 inches and is unlikely to be stressed since the small tank is very basic (with an ATO for stability but no powerhead). I have reef roids, live phyto, and AF Photo Mix which I use to maintain the copepod population the Greissenger Goby feeds on (I never have to directly feed him). Due to the small volume large water changes are very simple.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd have a sea apple in my tank if they were more common here in the US, i used to have one but it hurt itself on some rocks and ended up passing, it didnt harm anything upon death though, i was feeding it reef roids, phyto and oyster feast, i also read they really like baby brine shrimp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd have a sea apple in my tank if they were more common here in the US, i used to have one but it hurt itself on some rocks and ended up passing, it didnt harm anything upon death though, i was feeding it reef roids, phyto and oyster feast, i also read they really like baby brine shrimp.
I think I'll probably get the sea apple tomorrow then! He's only 3 inches at the moment.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep us updated! it should do well in a small tank with nothing to bother it, i have a fluval 6 gallon with just some gulf live rock at the moment, might do something similar.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep us updated! it should do well in a small tank with nothing to bother it, i have a fluval 6 gallon with just some gulf live rock at the moment, might do something similar.
I'm excited to get it in there! I feel like it's going to add a really unique touch!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried they might sell before making a decision so I decided to get the bottom 3 because red is the most popular color for mini Scolys and these colors seem to be a little harder to find. Not sure if the bottom one is considered mini or not. It was the same price though!

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was worried they might sell before making a decision so I decided to get the bottom 3 because red is the most popular color for mini Scolys and these colors seem to be a little harder to find. Not sure if the bottom one is considered mini or not. It was the same price though!
Look great! It’s the opposite here in the states, the red ones are pricier.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look great! It’s the opposite here in the states, the red ones are pricier.
Its funny but neither green or red is more expensive...they're just Scolys here haha...btw, someone wrote an article about why Linckia species starfish are so sensitive in captivity... pretty interesting

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love pico tanks. I dont know enough about the sea apples. Have been told when/if they die there is possible to nuke tank. But seems others who had first hand experience didnt have issues. Maybe its certain sea apples. Going to be fun to watch. My LFS gets some amazing button scollys in. These stay small. Hair algae eventually cleared away and put this back in larger pico lol.
Screenshot_2023-10-05-20-31-48-81_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back