Return on 40g breeder

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drilled my 40g breeder for the 800gph eshopps overflow I want to now drill it for my return is there a kit for this? If not what size drill bit would I used and where would I buy the stuff for it please help

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill bit is determined by the bulkhead fitting you are going to use for the return pipe. I think BRS sells this stuff? Others will know that info.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I was going to drill the return in a 40B then I would typically add a bulkhead fitting, but typically I choose to just go up an over the edge by adding PVC 90 degree fittings and then cap it off with a random flow generator (RFG). FWIW, I am doing this with 55g with an Eshopps 1200 and on a 30g with an Eshopps 800.

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was going to drill the return in a 40B then I would typically add a bulkhead fitting, but typically I choose to just go up an over the edge by adding PVC 90 degree fittings and then cap it off with a random flow generator (RFG). FWIW, I am doing this with 55g with an Eshopps 1200 and on a 30g with an Eshopps 800.
I would just like a cleaner look so I’m gonna drill it

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Using black PVC piping, a black bulkhead, and a black RFG from @Vivid Creative Aquatics may help create a clean look with the return. All of these items are available from BRS. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go he Bulkhead rout, then do a 3/4in bulkhead with a Slip on the wet side, instead of ghread.

Then use one of our new 2530-sereis Multidapter - specially the 2530-075

This adapter will give you lowest profile Loc-line connector possible - it basically sits flush with the bulkhead
1686440346228.png

Form there, you can add a few (2 or 3) segments 3/4in of Loc-Line and a 3/4in Flex-Series Random Flow Generator. One RFG coming out of the back wall at one end, opposite of the overflow and pointed diagonally across the tank would do well, and at around 500 to 650 GPH would completely flow the entire tank.

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question since you put your return so low why didn’t you put a one way gate valve so your sump doesn’t over flow if power goes out? And I have a few more questions about the setup

What return pump?
Sump pics?
Why no flow nozzle for the return

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question since you put your return so low why didn’t you put a one way gate valve so your sump doesn’t over flow if power goes out? And I have a few more questions about the setup

What return pump?
Sump pics?
Why no flow nozzle for the return
The gate valve is inside the cabinet, but my sump will not overflow if the power cuts out, I've tested it many times. When the tank is running, there is only 6" of water in the sump. That rope you see is the leak sensor

Why is my return so low? Inexperience, it was my first time every drilling and plumbing.

The return pump is a sicce syncra 6.0. A 3.0 will work, but there none available when I needed it and I didnt want to wait so I took the 6.0, which runs at 35%.

I actually have 5 different nozzles that I bought, I couldn't decide which one to use so I decided to think about it, but now I've gotten used to the way it is. I'm a "leave good enough alone" type of guy.

A pic of my sump is below, there are no baffles, the space was just getting too tight, and I have big clumsy hands, so I decided to leave it open. I've got rock rubble in there, and a small powerhead to keep the flow through the rock rubble.

1686589625609.png

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve is inside the cabinet, but my sump will not overflow if the power cuts out, I've tested it many times. When the tank is running, there is only 6" of water in the sump. That rope you see is the leak sensor

Why is my return so low? Inexperience, it was my first time every drilling and plumbing.

The return pump is a sicce syncra 6.0. A 3.0 will work, but there none available when I needed it and I didnt want to wait so I took the 6.0, which runs at 35%.

I actually have 5 different nozzles that I bought, I couldn't decide which one to use so I decided to think about it, but now I've gotten used to the way it is. I'm a "leave good enough alone" type of guy.

A pic of my sump is below, there are no baffles, the space was just getting too tight, and I have big clumsy hands, so I decided to leave it open. I've got rock rubble in there, and a small powerhead to keep the flow through the rock rubble.

1686589625609.png
Thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back