Return pump fitting help

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Can someone please help advise on what parts I need for my AIO tank?

The original pump that came with my tank isn’t quite suitable for my needs so I’m trying to update my parts but I’m completely lost on what I need.

So far I have:

return pump
Tubing for return pump
0.5” barbed elbow connector (to run from return pump to display area)

I’m hoping to be able to add a random flow generator but I don’t know what parts I need/what they’re called.
I went to my LFS and they said I need a ball connector in order to use the RFG’s they sell. The problem is, I’m not sure if there’s another type of attachment I can buy that allows my barbed elbow connector to accommodate for ball attachments.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a barbed elbow that is threaded on the other leg of the elbow. The threads should match that of the ball connector. Idealt you want you elbow to have female threads. If the ball conector has male threads. You may need a female threaded union fitting if you can only get the other two items with male threads.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “ball connector” is commercially known as Locline and is commonly found directing coolant in CNC machinery. There are two sizes typically seen in aquariums. Please provide the make/model of the AIO you own and from that selecting the right fittings should be fairly easy. My last tank and current one use Locline, it’s handy stuff.

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “ball connector” is commercially known as Locline and is commonly found directing coolant in CNC machinery. There are two sizes typically seen in aquariums. Please provide the make/model of the AIO you own and from that selecting the right fittings should be fairly easy. My last tank and current one use Locline, it’s handy stuff.
Thank you for the tip! My AIO tank is from the brand Aqua Japan, but the return pump and it's fittings don't fit snugly and it bends the return pump tube in a way where it basically restricts the waterflow.

The hole where the return pump fittings should fit is approximately 1/2" in diameter

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a barbed elbow that is threaded on the other leg of the elbow. The threads should match that of the ball connector. Idealt you want you elbow to have female threads. If the ball conector has male threads. You may need a female threaded union fitting if you can only get the other two items with male threads.
Oh I may have purchased the wrong fitting then, my current barbed elbow is barbed on both ends. Based on your advice, I'm thinking I should return what I have and just buy a 90 degree barbed bulkhead adaptor where it's barbed on one end and threaded on the other haha

Thanks for your help!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back