RfA mouth/strange white fuzz question

aeceac6413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I just got a new rfa a week ago. It's moved 3xs and this last time I noticed that it's mouth had been bulging out for a day and there's a strange white, fuzzy substance under it. I have attached photos. Any thoughts? All parameters were checked yesterday and are normal besides the mag being a tad low. 10 g water change last night.

TiA

20240427_145408.jpg 20240427_145403.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what the white stuff is, but the fact that you say its moved three times in the past week, makes me think that it's not happy. The open mouth also tells me that it's not happy at all. How old is your tank? Is it possible when it was moving it got stung by another coral?

OP
OP
A

aeceac6413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the replay. It definitely doesn't seem happy.. our tank is 5 months old and it has been pretty stable the the parameters. We have a few other RFA in there that all see fine. The area that it has been focusing on has other RFA but I can't distinguish whether it's bothered by them or not. I thought about this last night: the first night it went in the tank it found a spot with super high flow in-between 2 rocks that it clearly wasn't thrilled about- could the flow have damages the nem and the white stuff is tissue?
Should i just leave it until jt finds a happy place?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the replay. It definitely doesn't seem happy.. our tank is 5 months old and it has been pretty stable the the parameters. We have a few other RFA in there that all see fine. The area that it has been focusing on has other RFA but I can't distinguish whether it's bothered by them or not. I thought about this last night: the first night it went in the tank it found a spot with super high flow in-between 2 rocks that it clearly wasn't thrilled about- could the flow have damages the nem and the white stuff is tissue?
Should i just leave it until jt finds a happy place?
I don't believe flow would damage the tissue like that. Do you have any shrimp that tried to pry open the mouth to get food out of it? I think the best thing you could do is leave it and give it proper conditions. If the tissue is damged, there may be something to dip it in, but I am not sure.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back