Rimless Reef 4.0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty sure I am going to switch over to zeolites when I redo my sump later this summer. 15 years ago I followed Rimless Reef (might have been 1.0 even?) and modeled my 40B after that amazing tank. I had great success and figure why not try out the zeolites on my current system?

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sunny! Glad all is well.

So you need a frag of Pro Corals rainbow? If you would like one, let me know and would be glad to give one to you.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks amazing Sunny. You’ve got me wanting to do the Osmolator with Tunze Calcium dispenser/ All For Reef combo as well. I currently dose two part but the salinity change from 200ml a day is getting annoying. Is your Tunze calcium dispenser in your ATO container? Seems they recommend it be in a container in case of leaks, but I’m not sure I could fit one in mine.

Thank you! The Tunze Calcium dispenser in in my ATO. It is clipped on internally with a hang-on bracket that came with the product. Potentially you could have a leak if feed tube were to pop off so I would recommend you have it placed inside the ATO. This little contraction has worked very well now for a year, and with no moving parts I dont have to mess with it like I did in the past with a Kalk stirrer.

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I am going to switch over to zeolites when I redo my sump later this summer. 15 years ago I followed Rimless Reef (might have been 1.0 even?) and modeled my 40B after that amazing tank. I had great success and figure why not try out the zeolites on my current system?

Hey! Give it a go. I would recommend that you start slow, and use perhaps 25% of the recommend stones. Right now, I only use half the recommendation and let them run twice as long as recommended. Each time I swap in the new stones the SPS all exhibit growth tips within days. If you have any additional questions please feel free to reach out.

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sunny! Glad all is well.

So you need a frag of Pro Corals rainbow? If you would like one, let me know and would be glad to give one to you.

Hi! Great to see you on here and still in the hobby. I have a few colonies of the PC Rainbow growing in my reef, but could use a PC Superman Table. I have plenty of frags to give out so if you ever want to swing on by and check out the system please let me know.

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am happy to announce that I will be a guest tomorrow on the Rappin with Reefbum podcast.

The stream will start at 19:00EST. Pop in, check it out ,ask some questions and see my silly mug. :cool:

I am happy to discuss just about anything, including the Coral Snow treatment and bacteria driven systems.

Link here for the @ReefBum podcast ReefBum Channel

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am happy to announce that I will be a guest tomorrow on the Rappin with Reefbum podcast.

The stream will start at 19:00EST. Pop in, check it out ,ask some questions and see my silly mug. :cool:

I am happy to discuss just about anything, including the Coral Snow treatment and bacteria driven systems.

Link here for the @ReefBum podcast ReefBum Channel
Link don’t work for podcast..

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Sonny - I have been dosing NP Bacto since Thursday and the Zeobak/food twice weekly. I noticed several acros have become lighter so I adjusted the NP too .25ml per day (I started at half the reco dosage).

I also added 4 T5’s with the new stand I finished so it is possible that has driven the lighter colors. I also reduced lighting schedule for now to be safe.

Am I tracking well or do you see anything I haven’t mentioned or I should be doing?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sonny - I have been dosing NP Bacto since Thursday and the Zeobak/food twice weekly. I noticed several acros have become lighter so I adjusted the NP too .25ml per day (I started at half the reco dosage).

I also added 4 T5’s with the new stand I finished so it is possible that has driven the lighter colors. I also reduced lighting schedule for now to be safe.

Am I tracking well or do you see anything I haven’t mentioned or I should be doing?

Hello,

Are the four T5's in addition to lighting you already had setup on your system. Reducing the lighting schedule to acclimate the corals is a wise choice, as is dialing back the dosage.

If the corals are lighting up too much, stop the dosing and wait a couple weeks before starting up again, at least so that the corals have had time to adjust to the increase in lighting. When starting up a carbon dosing regiment it is important to not make any other changes, at least for 4-6 weeks. There will be many changes occurring in your system, and you don't want to introduce any additional stress to the inhabitants.

-Sonny

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It feels good to be back!

Well, I’ve been back in the hobby for two years now. Over that time I had setup a small 50gl reef in my office. It was nothing special, just something to get my fingers wet again in this hobby. The tank grew in nicely from small frags and helped to get me ready for this point in the journey.

I have been in the hobby for 25 years now and took a long hiatus about eight years back. This was primarily due to illness. Since then, I have been doing well and hope to continue my journey for as long as I am fortunate to do so.

Prior to my hiatus, I along with member JimC ran a small company: Pro Corals. Some of you may have the very corals in your tank.

Updated video: 07/13/2022

Radion Mobius schedule: http://reefsite.com/radion-mobius-schedule/

Updated shot 06-04-2022
64EDC991-44E7-4CC7-81CB-6269D545329B.jpeg

With this latest setup, I will be again be carbon dosing. Over the years have found great success doing so.
I decided on a peninsula aquarium as I like to run my setups without a background or overflow to divert attention away from the aqua scape.

The tank you see here has been setup for one week as of today.

Display Tank
Waterbox 6025
60.5"×25.3"×23.6"

Sump
47gl Waterbox sump
36.2"×20.5"×15.7"

Water Movement
Ecotech Vectra L2 Return pump
Vortech MP40QD x2
Tunze Stream 3

Lighting
Ecotech Radion G5
2 XR30 PRO
2 XR15 PRO

Skimmer
Ultrareef UKS-200

Dosing
Tropic Marin All for Reef

Substrate
CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

Filtration and supplements
Carbon
Reef Crystals Salt
MicroBacter7
Tropic Marin NP-Bacto Balance
Selcon
Lugols Solution

Dosing updated 07/10/2022

Daily
  • 75ML Tropic Marin All for Reef
  • 3ML Tropic Marin NP-Bactobalance
  • 10ML Microbacter7
  • 100ML Randy Two part (ALK portion ONLY)
  • Kalkwasser for all ATO water. Tunze Osmolator connected to a Tunze Kalk reactor.
  • Two drops of Lugols solution.
  • Clean glass
  • Fish fed twice per day. 07:00 and 18:00.
  • AM: Two frozen cubes: Spirulina Brime Shrimp and Mysis Shrimp. Formula One Flakes. Spectrum pellets
  • PM: LRS Reef Frenzy 2”x3” sized piece

Weekly
  • 25% water change with Reef Crystals Salt. Sand siphoned, tumbled and filtered.
  • Blow off the rockwork with a turkey baster.
  • 50ML of DIY Coral Snow (Added after water change.)
  • Swap out filter socks
  • Top off ATO reservoir with fresh RO/DI
  • Fill Kalk reactor with Kalkwasser powder
  • Inspect pumps and light fixtures. Clean as needed.

The new setup

2303A5EF-392E-4320-96DB-927FCF891032.jpeg

2C73972E-A83B-4DFA-B572-6E8ED3A16AF8.png

49CD9F68-98C5-4A45-8782-4729C5050D56.png

DAE3629F-A643-4924-8376-2975AA0728AE.png

97798DD8-1E2B-4BC8-967B-2642150BB96D.png

8503663F-9F5E-46E4-A407-79593FA04EDF.jpeg

Below you will find pictures of my setups over the years:

1190880_orig.jpg

5474129_orig.jpg

3476729_orig.jpg

6111587_orig.jpg

6553092_orig.jpg

DSC_0120big2-e1419992789454-1024x681.jpg

7040434_orig.jpg

654079_orig.jpg

142.jpg
8A93CEDD-0F33-43C6-9B13-C77E9A4A6A73.jpeg

I have the 200 skimmer, about to set up a 200 gallon rimless with it. How do you like it?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my zeo stuff will be here today including a reactor! See how this goes! I’ve always carbon dosed “mb7-vodka” currently dosing mb7 and bacto balance.. so you suggest starting with half the recommended dosage on the instructions? And half the stones or less?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 200 skimmer, about to set up a 200 gallon rimless with it. How do you like it?

Hello,

The skimmer has worked flawlessly for a year now. I am very happy with its performance and have no issue recommending it to others. The skimmer is very easy to clean and operate. One thing that has amazed me is that the skimmer was dialed in on initial setup and hasn't had to be adjusted in a YEAR. In my opinion, the skimmer should be on top of every reefers wishlist and its a shame that not enough reefers know of it.

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my zeo stuff will be here today including a reactor! See how this goes! I’ve always carbon dosed “mb7-vodka” currently dosing mb7 and bacto balance.. so you suggest starting with half the recommended dosage on the instructions? And half the stones or less?

Exciting times! Yes, start slow, half the recommended dosages and work your way up from there. I still only run half the recommended Zeolites and change them out every 60 days versus the recommended 30 days. Everything is doing great.

If corals start to lighten up or the tank gets to be "too clean" bump up your fish feedings. I like to increase the food versus reducing the carbon source. I want to ensure that the corals have the maximum amount of nutrition available.

-Sonny

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting times! Yes, start slow, half the recommended dosages and work your way up from there. I still only run half the recommended Zeolites and change them out every 60 days versus the recommended 30 days. Everything is doing great.

If corals start to lighten up or the tank gets to be "too clean" bump up your fish feedings. I like to increase the food versus reducing the carbon source. I want to ensure that the corals have the maximum amount of nutrition available.

-Sonny
Awesome! Yeah I’m not afraid to feed my fish it’s stocked very well right now and looking to add more lol.. currently got 25 fish and 7 are decent sized tangs.. I do pellets twice a day, flakes once, 4 cubes of frozen and 2 sheets of nori daily. Only thing changing will be a reactor and stones and using zeobak “instead of mb7” from my normal routine.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello,

Are the four T5's in addition to lighting you already had setup on your system. Reducing the lighting schedule to acclimate the corals is a wise choice, as is dialing back the dosage.

If the corals are lighting up too much, stop the dosing and wait a couple weeks before starting up again, at least so that the corals have had time to adjust to the increase in lighting. When starting up a carbon dosing regiment it is important to not make any other changes, at least for 4-6 weeks. There will be many changes occurring in your system, and you don't want to introduce any additional stress to the inhabitants.

-Sonny
It was just bad timing as I had swapped to my new stand which has the T5’s and Radion (formerly Radion only). I’ve reduced both for now and will hold off on dosing for a couple weeks to let everything come back. Thanks Sonny!

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The skimmer has worked flawlessly for a year now. I am very happy with its performance and have no issue recommending it to others. The skimmer is very easy to clean and operate. One thing that has amazed me is that the skimmer was dialed in on initial setup and hasn't had to be adjusted in a YEAR. In my opinion, the skimmer should be on top of every reefers wishlist and its a shame that not enough reefers know of it.

-Sonny

Thanks, I did a lot of research before deciding on it and most said the same things you did..... and man is it well made. The fit and finish impressed me. No if we can just get the tank so I can run it, waiting on Waterbox.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back