OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! Really looking forward to the 140 update! Have you made a build or have pics of the mantis cube?

Thanks!

The 140 was a fail. The tank glass is etched so I'm back with the 75. Everything was moved in preparation for the new tank and I moved the 75 back again but I haven't been able to get it back like it was so I'm starting over. I have pukani rock cycling in trash cans so if I find a bigger tank soon I'll upgrade and if not I'll redo the 75. My bad luck continued the other day when one of my led fixtures went out but luckily I bought an identical one from a friend breaking down his tank. I had it over my frag tank but I had to move it over the 75 and put an old 150w mh over the frag tank. I have several lps in a temporary tank with par38 LEDs over it and an HOB filter. Lol it's all a mess right now!

I took some pics of the mantis tank recently but I've been waiting to post them until I can actually get a good mantis shot.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

The 140 was a fail. The tank glass is etched so I'm back with the 75. Everything was moved in preparation for the new tank and I moved the 75 back again but I haven't been able to get it back like it was so I'm starting over. I have pukani rock cycling in trash cans so if I find a bigger tank soon I'll upgrade and if not I'll redo the 75. My bad luck continued the other day when one of my led fixtures went out but luckily I bought an identical one from a friend breaking down his tank. I had it over my frag tank but I had to move it over the 75 and put an old 150w mh over the frag tank. I have several lps in a temporary tank with par38 LEDs over it and an HOB filter. Lol it's all a mess right now!

I took some pics of the mantis tank recently but I've been waiting to post them until I can actually get a good mantis shot.

Sorry about you 140, but I do hear you about the never can get it right like before. When I moved from my 125 to my 240, I still haven't been happy how things are. I'm thinking of adding more rock and maybe attempting another shot at the rock islands or bonsai look. We'll see. I'll keep an watch out for the mantis shots. I've considered one as well in my 29 biocube that is just doing nothing. I haven't yet due to the fear of glass breaking :tongue:.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered one as well in my 29 biocube that is just doing nothing. I haven't yet due to the fear of glass breaking :tongue:.

I got over the glass breaking thing a long time ago. :) If you want a mantis I'd say go for it. Just buy one suitable for your 29 gal. and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the 140 didn't pan out I'm sticking with this tank. It's been going for 3 years so I figure why not just keep it rockin. I moved the tank BACK to the other side of the room AGAIN!

Interesting note...when I moved the tank the first time I vacuumed the 3 year old sandbed really well. The two weeks after that most of the sps were scattered about on the bottom of the tank. When I went to move the tank back I noticed a lot of the sps have considerable growth. I'm thinking finally cleaning out the old 4 inch sandbed lowered phosphates and nitrates. I was so impressed I decided to remove 99% of the sand. It's nearly bare bottom now except for a thin layer to keep the rocks from shifting. I've always run a BB fuge and after all the moving I need to vacuum it real good and do a water change and I think the sps growth will hopefully increase even more.

Bad news, I got too confident on how fast I thought I could move the tank and I left all my corals out in the open air. Everything looks great except 2 birdsnest, orange monti cap and my orange digi. They have plenty of healthy parts and I still have frags from breakages the last time I moved so it's not a big deal. The sunset monti looked bad but it totally healed up so I'm hoping the rest will follow. No Acros, LPS, or Zoas were bothered by sitting out dry like that.

I added a mp10 in addition to the 2 Koralia 4s. I hope to add another mp10 later down the road but I don't think the tank is in any need of more flow.

This is the mp10 only.

This is the mp10 and 2 K 4s.

The iphone hates my blue leds. :)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the nicer 3 year old mixed reefs I've seen, very nice growth, Your husbandry looks top notch, sir, how long you been reefin?

Lookin forward to the tank thread and learning from your experiences, thanks for sharing man!

Ps. How the heck did that first favia pic grow like that? Lol totally awesome.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed all the stuff above!

:)

Very nice :) love the harmony of colors.

Thanks!

That is one of the nicer 3 year old mixed reefs I've seen, very nice growth, Your husbandry looks top notch, sir, how long you been reefin?

Lookin forward to the tank thread and learning from your experiences, thanks for sharing man!

Ps. How the heck did that first favia pic grow like that? Lol totally awesome.

You're too kind! This is my 4th year in the hobby. I'm fortunate to have a job where I can spend plenty of time reading....some days.

Are you talking about that red war coral? It was a maricultured piece from Diver's Den. I need a new pic but you can't see any rock anymore. It was a pain when I first got it. It wouldn't color up. I switched to leds and it's now probably my nicest coral.

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Great looking tank!

Thank you!

You all are too kind!

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks nice, to bad the 140 didnt pan out tho!

Thank you.

I'm bummed about the 140. I still have 100 lbs. of pukani rock curing in brute cans. My 75 is infested with blue snowflake polyps so I can let this rock cure for as long as I want and eventually redo the 75. At least I didn't start QTing fish for it! :)

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The 3 year old sandbed is gone and I'm loving it. Most of my sps are recovering nicely from being left out of the water too long. I trimmed some dead tips off my birdsnests and they are already growing back. The montis all look good again except my orange digi which has some rough spots on it but it's coloring back up. I'll probably end up fragging it soon to remove the unhealthy spots. The other montis have healed nicely and are growing. I lost my superman montipora during the first move but I have a small frag that made it. I wasn't able to get all the corals back where I wanted to but I think I did ok. I'll have to figure out what to do with that big frogspawn since it was stuck in the sandbed and I removed it all so it's in my prop tank for now. The derasa clam is growing like mad for some reason. I had to move it since it was too close to the front glass.

Couple of iphone pics. The leds are tough to photograph.
7c16e9ee.jpg

7e56c4dd.jpg

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday to me!

Bought myself a new mp10w and upgraded my other mp10 to wireless so now in addition to the Koralia 4s I have 2 mp10 W ES on the back wall. Full blast, short pulse mode, anti sync. This tank is really rocking now! I can't decide if I was getting more wave from sync or anti-sync mode but it's in anti-sync right now and I'm sure I'll change my mind. I couldn't tell much difference in the wave but anti-sync looked more random so that's how I set it.

Short video, http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/ritter6788/?action=view&current=f88bc4d4.mp4

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday!

Your tank is looking pretty sweet...you've convinced me to take out much of my sand, go with a thinner layer.

What did you do with your old sand?

Have an awesome birthday today!

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday!

Your tank is looking pretty sweet...you've convinced me to take out much of my sand, go with a thinner layer.

What did you do with your old sand?

Have an awesome birthday today!

Thanks! I kept telling myself I was going to deep clean this tank and remove that old sand. The failed upgrade was a blessing in disguise since it gave me the chance to clean the sand out. Now if I could get rid of those blue snowflake polyps...

I filled in holes in my yard with the old sand. :)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I kept telling myself I was going to deep clean this tank and remove that old sand. The failed upgrade was a blessing in disguise since it gave me the chance to clean the sand out. Now if I could get rid of those blue snowflake polyps...

I filled in holes in my yard with the old sand. :)

Yes, those blue polyp populations are intense...how long did it take to cover that much of your rock?

Short of taking the rock out and fragging/scrubbing I can't see how you would get those polyps to specifically decline.

Honestly tho, I think it looks kinda awesome! hahah, its so not my tank tho...they do look like they are choking out some buttons.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back