OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to update this great thread o'mine! Cause I love this biocube! It will be 2 yrs this July since I set up this cube,which I won from REEF2REEF at Reefapalooza, Orlando 2014! Although I've lost a couple of things here and there, including my 4 home bred neon gobies ( to ick),[emoji19] the overall growth and success has been incredible! This is a great start to progression thread for anyone looking to get into the hobby with a biocube. With a bit of upgrades, the biocube makes for a great and easy to maintain nano! Everything keeps growing and growing, including the kids!!![emoji106]

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456198957.850834.jpg

Used to be Zoa Pagoda... Now it's Meteor Shower Pagoda.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456200256.770204.jpg

The photogenic royal gramma with a smile!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456200300.761997.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456201022.228116.jpg

Camping out, Fish Eating Creek, Fl
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456201330.382498.jpg

My latest addition, a pair of Miami White Clownfish from local breeder Miguel Hurtado, I've been saving for these beauties!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456201544.095882.jpg

Last edited:

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so cool how the meteor shower cyphastrea covered your rock hut.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so cool how the meteor shower cyphastrea covered your rock hut.
Man if you only knew! I almost lost The meteor shower roof. I don't know what happened but about a month ago, it had what appeared to be a red slime edge which started to turn it white from one side and it crept up to the top and to the other side. I ended up dipping it and the recession has stopped. Now, a lot of tissue to recover, good thing is it's a fast grower! In 2 years it covered the top and crept under the eaves! I have other cyphastreas on this pagoda and none of the others were affected. I still don't know what got it.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest addition, a pair of Miami White Clownfish from local breeder Miguel Hurtado, I've been saving for these beauties!
imageuploadedbyreef2reef1456201544-095882-jpg.318877
Those Miami Whites look perfect. Quite literally perfect, no weird discoloration or anything. It almost looks like a Wyoming White (not saying it is.) ;) Very great choice!

- C. Smith

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y'all ! The cyphastrea pagoda started as a grow out tank ornament in a grow out tank with neon gobies I bred. I had transferred then to this tank and they all died on me after about a year and half after. The pagoda had a bunch of Zoa frags glued to it but the cyphastreas took over! If you only knew, I lost more than half of the pagoda roof about a month ago to some reddish creeping slime.[emoji53] I dipped it for 5 min. And it is has starting to slowly grow back the loss. Other than those losses this tank has maintained pretty well in 2 years![emoji4]

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F8BB7697-F20A-47FC-AF65-3025F8AF1672.jpeg

So here it is still running since 2014! I don’t have all the corals I had in the past. Although the tank is mature and ready for anything. I picked up this Ultra RBTA, and the Miami White clownfish are thrilled. So thrilled with the new nest that the my stopped spawning. 425DA9E1-744C-4D97-BD4C-F2301838A06F.jpeg

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures. I'm sure they enjoy playing in their new nem. Do you mind sharing details of this nano set up going strong for 6 years, maintenance, feeding.....my two clowns in my 18g AIO try to talk to me....have no idea what they want o_O

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures. I'm sure they enjoy playing in their new nem. Do you mind sharing details of this nano set up going strong for 6 years, maintenance, feeding.....my two clowns in my 18g AIO try to talk to me....have no idea what they want o_O
Well this biocube 29 has been totally upgraded by me. It’s had its ups and downs since 2014, but running strong right now with minimal live stock. The lights were upgraded to a rapidLED retrofit kit with 24 led’s (12blue,12 white). It has a programmable storm control that follows the current sunrise/sunset times. As far as filtration in the back, I was able to incorporate everything I wanted in the back space provided. As pictured, right to left, an aquaticlife 115 skimmer fit in chamber 1 with some minor modifications. Chamber 2 has a media basket where I’ve ran a mechanical pad, purigen, and chemipure elite. As of about 1 year, I stopped using purigen and chemipure. The tank seems to run better without these. The skimmer and chaeto growing in a refugium basket in chamber 2 works better. The refugium basket is lit from the back of the tank 24/7. Chamber 3 contains a MJ 1200, upgraded from coral life pump that came with set up. I also have a tunze, nano top off in 3.

B0DFD538-E3EA-4427-A609-33C4FB75A19F.jpeg

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy campers....love it!

What is your feeding schedule, please? Thank you

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy campers....love it!

What is your feeding schedule, please? Thank you
This biocube 29 only has the pair of clowns and a yellow coris wrasse. I feed twice per day, morning, small size TDO pellets, and then either spirulina enriched brine shrimp, mysis, ocean plankton, or krill in the evening. I don’t feed much during each feeding just enough for 5 min, even less if I don’t see much interest. Every 3rd day, no feeding. The BTA’s are not spot fed, only what the fish miss and end up in tentacles.

reefer844

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This biocube 29 only has the pair of clowns and a yellow coris wrasse. I feed twice per day, morning, small size TDO pellets, and then either spirulina enriched brine shrimp, mysis, ocean plankton, or krill in the evening. I don’t feed much during each feeding just enough for 5 min, even less if I don’t see much interest. Every 3rd day, no feeding. The BTA’s are not spot fed, only what the fish miss and end up in tentacles.
Hey I have a quick question about the Miami whites I was wondering if Miguel Hurtado has any fish stores he distributed to, or if he only sells directly to the buyer. These are my dream fish and I know it’s unlikely that I will ever get a pair but any advice helps. Thanks

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back