RMS arm not level

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my new XR30W Pro last night with an RMS arm only to find that it's angled forward. Upon looking at photos of other tanks with the RMS online this appears to be the way it's designed.

Is there any fix for this so my Radion can be level with the rim of my tank?

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy of mine returned the RMS mounts for that exact reason. I have, however, seen on the forums somewhere where people were using something to shim them so they are angled correctly. Maybe somebody will chime in and help here...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A buddy of mine returned the RMS mounts for that exact reason. I have, however, seen on the forums somewhere where people were using something to shim them so they are angled correctly. Maybe somebody will chime in and help here...
yeah, I heard that too.
My thought when I first read about this issue is the front of the fixture would be slightly angled down and help prevent glare from the leds.
But my Radions don't seem to have as much as others I've had.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It's super unpleasant aesthetics
yeah, I heard that too.
My thought when I first read about this issue is the front of the fixture would be slightly angled down and help prevent glare from the leds.
But my Radions don't seem to have as much as others I've had.

They really don't have much if any with the stock lens. How do you have yours mounted?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thank you! It's super unpleasant aesthetics

They really don't have much if any with the stock lens. How do you have yours mounted?
I'm using the RMS mount system on my 233, but I'm also using the long rail with 4 of the gen 3's with wide angle lens.

When I seemed to notice less glare was when I had a single Radion over my 50 with my diy mount. Even with the wide angle lens and keeping the fixture level, it wasn't as bad.

But I agree that the fixture not being level would seem like a distraction.
I'm surprised they haven't made a shim specifically for this issue.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the RMS mount system on my 233, but I'm also using the long rail with 4 of the gen 3's with wide angle lens.

When I seemed to notice less glare was when I had a single Radion over my 50 with my diy mount. Even with the wide angle lens and keeping the fixture level, it wasn't as bad.

But I agree that the fixture not being level would seem like a distraction.
I'm surprised they haven't made a shim specifically for this issue.

Exactly! I hate to sound OCD but my condo is modern/contemporary and I believe everything looks more aesthetically pleasant when it's level and flush. It looks like I slapped it together and didn't notice that my light was teetering forward, about to take a dive into my tank... Okay that's a little extreme but you get the point. (;

I'm starting to think I should've done more research... If I don't find a resolution, I may do a ceiling mount or go with a LeRusso.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Exactly! I hate to sound OCD but my condo is modern/contemporary and I believe everything looks more aesthetically pleasant when it's level and flush. It looks like I slapped it together and didn't notice that my light was teetering forward, about to take a dive into my tank... Okay that's a little extreme but you get the point. (;

I'm starting to think I should've done more research... If I don't find a resolution, I may do a ceiling mount or go with a LeRusso.
I do understand wanting it to be perfect.
Since it's easy to work with wood, ( unless you can work with acrylic) maybe a wedge shaped shim?

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I'm finding is that the angle is in the arm itself opposed to the slider. Is this correct? Where would I need to wedge the shim? I have plenty of wood I can cut along with a custom acrylic shop nearby if I design something for them to cut.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know of any fixes for the RMS arm prior to ordering a new arm mount? I love the look of it but I can't seem to find a way to level it out

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The problem I'm finding is that the angle is in the arm itself opposed to the slider. Is this correct? Where would I need to wedge the shim? I have plenty of wood I can cut along with a custom acrylic shop nearby if I design something for them to cut.

I'm assuming where the clamp is attached to the tank.
By adding a shim to the inside, you would be forcing the upright bracket backwards, bringing up the front of the fixture.

morrisr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I bought two RMS mounting arms today for mt XR30 Gen3's. The arms look great until you mount a light on them. Then they droop horribly. I tried shimming them on the inside, which helped tiny bit, but not much. This is really disappointing for the cost of this mount. Unless someone has a solution here, these will definitely get returned.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back